1. mich9510

mich9510 Songster

Jul 21, 2016
    Southwest PA
    What thickness of sheet metal is good for coop roofs? I have a coop with the cheap plywood/particle board as the roof but it it sucks. I don't really want to shingle over it. I thought sheet of metal would be easier. Also what other things do I need to install the sheet metal? Should I use roofing nails? Screws? We get some wind where I'm at so I don't want it to blow away...lol.
    Thanks!

penny1960 likes this.
  2. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

Just remember rain and hail can sound loud hitting a metal roof. I'd go with shingles.

penny1960 likes this.
  3. Kris5902

Kris5902 Songster

Oct 12, 2018
    British Columbia, Canada
    They sell special roofing screws for metal roofing with sealing washers. I don’t have any so I’m just going to squeeze a little silicone sealant on as I tighten my regular self tapping pan-head ones down. You don’t want to use a decking or wood screw because the head is shaped to countersink into the material and the won’t work as well with the metal.

Granted, it’s a chicken coop, my usual opinion is use whatever you can find that works! I also suggest an angle grinder with a metal cut off wheel over tinsnips if you have one!

Today is my roofing day, too! Last step on my first chicken tractor. I have a “little” fastener problem and buy boxes of screws every time I find them on sale. There’s dumber things to hoard , I’m sure!

4. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Crowing

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    My Coop
  5. Kris5902

Kris5902 Songster

Oct 12, 2018
    British Columbia, Canada
    I think the thinner and lighter the panels the better. I’m just going to try use some steel wavy corrugated siding I got for free. If it doesn’t work well enough I’ll find something else. You could also paint the roof with a sealant? I’m looking at the RV roof paints as well... maybe save my metal for a woodshed?

ChickNanny13 and Compost King like this.
  6. Compost King

Compost King Songster

Apr 19, 2018
    North Carolina
    I found this to be best (cheapest) roofing option. Stand alone Metal roofs can buckle under the weight of heavy snow, I have a few like that and last week at this time we were having a rare blizzard of heavy slush/snow so I was out side getting all wet and cold clearing coop roofs. If you have a lot of snow be sure you have good strong wood re-enforcing it.

If you are looking for the cheapest Plastic Feed bags can be used make roofing shingles... but they need to be replaced frequently. I have done that as I saved up to buy roofing materials.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Union-Corrugating-2-16-ft-x-8-ft-Corrugated-Steel-Roof-Panel/3317582

https://www.lowes.com/search?searchTerm=roofing+screws

I posted a search for roofing screws rather than the specific the I use, I don't know the quality of the wood you would be screwing into and you can best figure out what best works for you.

HeyHo and ChickNanny13 like this.
  7. imnukensc

imnukensc Songster

May 22, 2017
    SC Midlands
    I'm not sure why this would be a concern. Doesn't seem to bother my chickens at all and I personally love the sound of rain on a metal roof. Actually quite soothing.

8. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Crossing the Road

Jun 23, 2013
    The Big Island/Hawaii
    Hubby & I thought we were being economical, installed some of the plastic roofing (for greenhouses) we don't get snow/hail but alot of sun & rain. The rafters were 16" apart, first major rain storm the roofing caved in at one corner. If we were to do it over, laying plywood down & it on top may have been the way to do but we re-roofed with corrugated steel & added more rafters between what we had. The pouring rain does get loud so Hubby was going to insulate ... Dang they're fine, don't bother them.

We did use roofing nails

Attached Files:

9. Compost King

Compost King Songster

Apr 19, 2018
    North Carolina
    I have similar buckling problems which lead to some design changes. I still like the cheap roofing materials but i now know that its needs more support. Here the Metal Zinc roofing panels are less expensive than the plastic but they can be equally as weak.

Kris5902 likes this.
  10. penny1960

penny1960 Going back to La La Land

Dec 29, 2015
    Mossyrock, WA
    okay have 2 metal roofs is there any slant to it ? metal works best real stuff not plastic... buy the best you can will replace it less often metal does not buckle if maintained

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: