Metal Roof

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ice329, Dec 19, 2009.

1. ice329

ice329 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2009
    I see a lot of you use a metal roof. The overhang I built the coop into also has a metal roof. Something I noticed and needs to be addressed... IT SWEATS. A layer of insulation shoulld take care of it I hope... I been running into a few snags with this coop and already (it my first one) I see things I dont like.. you cant believe mt thoughts..shhhhhh(tear it down and do it again) are you nuts... hehe

Does your metal roof sweat and what did you do to fix it.

I will just ask here rather then start a new thread... how big of a gap can a coon get threw. Solid gaps like 2x4's next to one another not bendy gaps like plywood.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2009
  2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Well, ours was insulated from the get-go, so no sweating experiences. There is a place where our run ties into our coop (actually into the "chicken porch area") that has some small openings (about 2-3inches by 16 or so)....it's up really high, and I've wonderered if I should cover it w/wire. It certainly doesn't LOOK like any coon could squeeze through (it would allow access to our run, but not inside the coop at night time).

3. chickeydee

chickeydee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2009
    I have a metal roof and I did not put plywood down first I built the frame than took the felt paper and stapled it to the rafters and than tape the seems then laid the metal roofing on top of it .It worked great and I did not have to use plywood at all . It is sealed all the way around and it has 2 vents on the top of the walls . The felt paper did it for me .

4. Barred Rocker

Barred Rocker cracked egg

Jul 15, 2009
    King and Queen Co, Va
    I put osb plywood down and felt paper on top of that and then put the tin on top. No problems here, my coop is dry as a bone.

5. chickeydee

chickeydee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2009
    That is a nice looking house . I did not put osb or plywood just felt then the tin .I tape the seams and staple it tight to the rafters it is dry i there and it has been a nasty week here in Tx .

6. RobinZ

RobinZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2009
    Pennsylvania
    My metal roof sweat like crazy. I put rolled insulation up between the 2x4's, then a thin sheet of plywood over that where the chickens would pick at insulation. It has been working fine for me.

7. bigoakhunter

bigoakhunter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    Michigan
    I have a metal roof on coop and several other out buildings. If you insulate it, condesation is fixed. I used the 1 inch blue Dow Styrofoam and the used strips of 3/8 plywood screwed in place to hold it against metal roof. Works well.

My other outbuildings without the styrofoam sweat.

8. rainbowgardens

rainbowgardens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Central Virginia
    I put my roofing metal right on top of OSB without using any liner. I didn't know I'd need it until after I had finished it.

I'm hoping the roof lasts until we can move to our dream property... just as soon as we strike it rich.

9. twentynine

twentynine Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    Quote:That's what I done. No moisture problem.

10. Whispering Winds

Whispering Winds Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Better do something with it, coons can squeeze through the smallest spots. I have another one in my attic, and if DH doesn't get his butt up on that corner of the house and do something with that spot, then there is going to be a new roomie in the attic with the coon!!! This is my third out of fourth year with coons in the attic!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by