1. BoutrosBoutrosGalusGalus

BoutrosBoutrosGalusGalus Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    san jose
    Hi, I have an old coop where the roof was too rotten so I tore it off. We painted some sheet metal in a light color and put that on for the roof. Is metal a bad idea? Its got one whole side open for ventilation but it does get full sun for part of the day. They've been in there for a day and a half now and seem fine but I worry about when an especially hot day comes.

2. SunnyDawn

SunnyDawn Sun Lovin' Lizard

Sep 12, 2009
    Nor Cal
    I'd think it would get pretty hot in there during really warm weather and pretty cold during winter. Metal heats and cools very quickly. Can you put a sheet(s) of plywood under the metal roof for insulation?

3. atr04screw

atr04screw Out Of The Brooder

Jun 14, 2011
    I've got galvanized metal on my coop and it doesn't heat up the coop much at all. Its not even painted and its in the 110* georgia heat.

4. fireguy56

fireguy56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2010
    Slidell, Louisiana
    Hi, the metal roof will be fine and last a long time. Just make sure ya got good ventilation and air movement. Heat rises, so having a metal roof will not cause the coop to heat up any more than any other type of roofing material. Ya just need a way for the heat to escape. i.e. windows, forced ventilation,shade, etc....Hope this helps
    Erik

5. Schwartzfarmnc

Schwartzfarmnc Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    West Jefferson
    I also have a metal roof, the only thing I noticed was in the winter time it condensates, so I installed insulation up underneath I'll attach a photo for viewing. After installing the insulation, I've no more water issues and helps to keep the coop warmer in the winter up here in the mountains.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I guess it depends on the type of metal roofing. Galvanized roofing - maybe or maybe not. I know I was helping a fellow BYCer work on her metal shed coop on a really hot, sunny day, and I when I stood up near the center of the building I could feel heat radiating down through, several inches from the ceiling. But it was just one of those somewhat flimsy metal roofs; the galvanized stuff may be thicker/better. If you find that your roof radiates the heat down, then you can always insulate under it.

7. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    I used the old roofing that came off my house. On the coop side I did insulate it. With the temps these days, it's just hard to tell what normal temps would be.

[​IMG]

This is what it looks like.

8. BoutrosBoutrosGalusGalus

Jul 18, 2011
    san jose
    Thanks for the responses. The roof is basically composed of old "under construction" signs (wonder if I could buy one of those "making America Work" stimulus signs?) so it must be galv steel and pretty thin. I'll monitor the temps and maybe get some plywood to go under it if need be (just talking 4X8 here).

9. SunnyDawn

SunnyDawn Sun Lovin' Lizard

Sep 12, 2009
    Nor Cal
    Post pics when you're done. I'd love to see it.

10. BoutrosBoutrosGalusGalus

Jul 18, 2011
    san jose
    Here you go. We don't have all the finishing touches on yet but this gives you an idea of the roof.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by