1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

metal roosts?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by chris deiss, Sep 15, 2010.

1. chris deiss

chris deiss Out Of The Brooder

Aug 8, 2010
    omro , wi
    Hi just a quick question .what do you think of metal roosting material? I have some metal closet pole I was thinking of recycling for roosts but I live in Wisconsin? I think it would be too cold on their feet in the winter what do you think. Thanks

2. ND

ND Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Too cold, IMO...and too slick/narrow for a good place for them to settle down, keep their toes covered and not be 'balancing' all night long.

For colder environments, 2x4's, with the wide part flat, is supposed to be best for them to be able to keep their feet covered easily, preventing frostbite.

3. chris deiss

chris deiss Out Of The Brooder

Aug 8, 2010
    omro , wi
    Thanks that's kinda what I thought but wanted a second opinion.

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Ditto. Too cold and chickens prefer to relax their feet and rest on their keel bone to sleep, not have to grab on to a round roost all night.

5. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Yeah Don't do it! I had a ermm.."friend" that stuck metal roosting poles though the side of the cage (this is basically a wire cage covered by plastic on asfault and no heating whatsoever) and most of the poor birds got frostbite, some lost their toenails/toes and some even died because they weren't taken care of...Luckly I was able to rescue a little bantam leghorn hen from there.

6. cybercat

cybercat Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2007
    Greeneville, Tn
    If you have trees use a branch if you want to save money. They work great even in cold weather.

Tip to prevent frost bite have LOTS of venaltation. Do not have a tight sealed up coop. Humidity will cause frostbite not so much the cold. After all wild bids live in cold weather without problems. Chickens do too all the time. I have pictures on my chickens blog of this past winter. They are in the snow and you can see how under the roof is open. We had temps below 0 many nights. No frostbite and no heater or light. Do a search and read all the threads.

7. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Quote:+1

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by