Metal Roosts

tquadchicken

Hatching
8 Years
Oct 24, 2011
Has anyone ever used metal roost poles? I know people in the midwest and east have to deal with frigid temperatures which turns a metal pole into an icicle. But I live in California in an area where nighttime temps fall below forty degrees maybe ten times a year and we almost never get to freezing. What other drawbacks or positives has anyone experienced with metal roosts. Perhaps rust?

I am in SoCal.

I would still use a 2x4 with the flat side up for them to roost on. They like to snuggle their feet up and stay warm and secure. I would think a metal rod would be cooler and too slippery for them to enjoy.

i would never us a metal one i some times use a tree branch do see any reason to use a metal one
good luck
cool.png
cool.png

a metal roost pole seems like it would cause difficulty with thermo regulation for your birds no matter where you were...and what would you do when it DOES get cold or too hot?

Another thing to consider is that wood is softer than metal. It will give more (feel more cushioned) than metal, and provide a more secure texture for your birds than metal would.

Metal poles reduce the amount of material that can be colonised by mites and lice so some people swear by them. Jackie French, Australian author who writes about chooks and other things, advocates them but I think she lives in Queensland. Frost is not an issue
big_smile.png

I've read several places not to use metal because it's "slick" and they have problems holding onto it which increases stress.

If you want to insist on a metal pole, why not find a compromise and go for a plastic tube? Doesn't get as cold and still no mites...

I prefer stained branches, though. Nice and thick and they can dig their nails in.

I would have to agree with all of the above. I live in what I consider the Bay Area and the weather has changed so much the past years that I really don't think any of us know what the weather will bring us. I use 2x4s on their sides. I think if the chickens feet are toasty warm it helps keep them toasty warm.

( I need to learn to proof read before posting
tongue.png
)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom