1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Metal shed as a coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Mskayladog, Nov 29, 2012.

1. Mskayladog

Mskayladog Chillin' With My Peeps

Would a metal shed work as a coop? Just thinking about the spring and getting a new coop.

2. DallasCriftins

DallasCriftins Chillin' With My Peeps

I had been thinking the same thing with an old metal shed we own but decided not too use it as a closed coop it may well end up as field shelter though for Geese or Rheas

Main problem is condensation in the winter and roasting temps in the summer neither of which are easily controllable with something made from metal
    yes you can insulate but then you may as well stick to wood hence as a field shelter it would not have the doors so would be better ventilated.

I started off with an Eglu for my Chickens personally I found it ok for 2-3 chickens but when we added a fourth it became quite messy with one bird sleeping in the nest no we want a lot more Chickens we need something bigger.

I am trying plastic sheds and I currently have two "ketter" 6x4 plastic sheds I am trialing one for the Ducks and one I am about to build and modify for the chickens.

Plastic sheds are a little more expensive than wooden ones but should last forever and are simplicity to clean as you can do it with a hose or better still a pressure washer.
    They are also made of twin wall materials so are already partially insulated.

I have created grills in the bottom for drainage when washing them out but am thinking of using all welded mesh as the floor and a deep bed for the Ducks
    Mine are relatively exposed so I have them well anchored down the one for the chickens will be supported externally by the frame for the WIR.

There are a lot of option out there if you want an alternative

One link on You tube had coops make out of old metal school desks which are raised off the ground with welded mesh bottoms requiring very little cleaning which for a warmer climate looked very clever.

I did think of converting my kids old tree house but it was already a bit too far gone!

Last edited: Nov 30, 2012
  3. Mskayladog

I was looking at a rabers economy shed http://raberstoragebarns.com/. I know it's $$, but I have saved and can afford it. It has a instalation in the roof

4. Stumpy

Stumpy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    I have to agree about the condensation and the heat. It would be an oven where I live.

5. Mskayladog

Was talking to hubby, love the input ladies and gents.
    Even with the roof having the moisture barrier on the ceiling condensation would be a problem?
    We are looking at a 10 by 16 structure.

They also offer vinyl buildings.

6. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Livestock housing is often made of metal. What makes it functional is the ventilation you would add. If your comfortable with purchasing a new structure then cutting into it a lot of ventilation then sure, go for it. The insulated roof aids in reducing summer over heating but you'd also want side vents you can open in summer and close in winter. basically what you cut out attach back with hinges and install hardware cloth inside of new opening. You'd provide exit vents on the gables that would stay open year round.

It's a cost analysis. Cost of materials to build from scratch with time opposed to cost of structure with time to erect and modify. For me it would be better to build from scratch as that way it's built to suit the intended use. Framing only needs to be 2' on center and no reason not to use 2X3 with a half inch T11 style sheathing (quick to install and takes an exterior stain well for fast beautification and protection). You'd want bigger rafters for snow load of course or buy prefabed trusses. If the structure is surrounded by a skirting of hardware cloth laid parallel to ground to prevent predators digging in then it can stay as a dirt floor. Once you start thinking of building a large chicken coop on sauna tubes instead of a building your costs dramatically decline. No overhead doors, no floors needed, doesn't need actual windows just vents covered with wire, doesn't need insulation or framing to provide for insulation, etc.

7. Mskayladog

The reason I'm asking here, is my hubby told me to get it done pick something out and don't bother him with it :D. He is all for it...but is very busy. Seems to me it would be less bothering to him to have a prefab building brought in then to have workers here for a couple days hammering and such. I can use a jig saw and can build the poop boards and roost no problem.

As for ventilation talking to the dealer, they said adding ventilation would be no problem they add it to the buildings all the time.

We built years ago the lean-tto the chickens are in now. At this time in our life it's easier time wise to purchase something. Cost wise hubby's time is worth more if I'm explaining that right.

8. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    Have you compared it cost-wise to a wooden shed? I'd think that would be easier to modify. If you get a large enough one, you can divide the space and have your storage right in the coop.

9. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    I have been using and old 6x8 metal shed for 3 years now.It does the job. I had anywhere from 3 to 10 chickens.I cut holes and taped some plexiglass in place for more light. I cut some holes for ventilation along the top.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by