Metal shed as Coop ??

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by critterrun, Oct 31, 2011.

1. critterrun

critterrun Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2011
    NJ
    Has anybody used a metal shed as a coop?

My girls have a dog run but not a real coop
    I was thinking of getting a cheap metal shed
    1/2 for them 1/2 for there stuff

I read about putting straw around walls to help keep it warm

would it be to big/to cold?
    I am a newbie [​IMG]

Thanks
    Debbie in NJ

2. darkmatter

darkmatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    Quote:In my opinion, metal fries in the sun and freezes in the winter. Not a good choice.

3. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    How many girls do you have? i have seen 10 x 10 wood sheds go for as low as 550$ , maybe you could find one on sale at the local home improvement store , like Lowes or Home Depot, you know the models that they had outside and now get rid of before winter.

4. LiLRedCV

LiLRedCV Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Land of the Rain
  5. LizaBlue

LizaBlue Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2010
    Wee Acres
    Saw a post here not too long ago about using a metal shed, and most folks were against it. Considered it not weatherproof, too sensitive to outside temps., and no way to attach things easily to the inside (like roosts, nest boxes, and feeders). The consensus seemed to be that for the same cost or less, you could build a simple wood coop, or even buy one.

If you just enter "metal shed" in the search box at the top right, you'll see a bunch of posts about it.

6. ozark_chickies

ozark_chickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2011
    Arkansas
    We just built a coop out of recycled aluminum siding. With proper ventilation, and insulation there is nothing wrong with using a metal shed as your coop.

7. Mrsfoote

Mrsfoote Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2010
    Laurel Montana
    Critter...where do you live. That may have a big change in answers. I just finished my metal shed coop yesterday as a matter of fact. I live in california, and my coop is directly in the sun, however my birds free range all day only going into the coop to lay, and when it gets dark. So temperatures aren't an issue, as for the heat, I just keep the doors open, and its fine. No warmer than the wood coop I just stopped using. I sealed it with expandable insulating foam, put in vents. You can easily add 1x1's throughout to use as mounting guides. We added a wood floor and raised base, so we were able to bracket our roosts to the floor. Very easy if you have the proper tools.

8. redhotchick

redhotchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2011
    Fort Worth
    Ok Ya'll,slow down! I build metal coops for my customers & they work great. My girls sleep at night & I do too. Ever heard the story of the Three Little Pigs? My girls know the song "You Keep a knockin but You Aint Gettin In! Just make screen windows that you can recover in the winter.Line it with old fence panels the you can free. If you need it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 31, 2011
  9. Mrsfoote

Mrsfoote Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2010
    Laurel Montana
    Wow Red Hot those are AMAZING LOOKING. Mine is only going to be used for about a year or so, other wise I would do something much more permanent like that.

10. Sleepy71

Sleepy71 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 25, 2011
    Jacksonville, FL
    My neighbor has an old metal shed on his property, which he has all but abandoned. I was thinking, just the other day, that I could use that shed for a large hen house, then build a run off to the side of it. It's not real pretty, but it could certainly provide some good shelter. EDIT: The one in that link is EXACTLY the shed my neighbor has....Great post!

Last edited: Oct 31, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by