Metal Shed Coop - How to Insulate or Keep warm??

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Aunt Bea's Egg, Oct 4, 2010.

1. Aunt Bea's Egg

Aunt Bea's Egg Out Of The Brooder

Oct 4, 2010
    The flock & I moved. The flock of 4 has been relocated from a wooden to a metal sided coop. Please suggest how to keep them toasty for winter? Do I need to line all the walls with plywood- a difficult project? WIll a heat lamp be sufficient? WHat id I line just the ceiling with plywood? THANKS!

2. DutchieWannabe

DutchieWannabe Out Of The Brooder

Aug 18, 2010
    Idaho
    I also have a metal coop and I plan on lining the whole thing with plywood, only because (from what i have read) condensation can be an issue in the winter and the metal/aluminum siding and roofs will easliy collect the condensation. i wont use a heat lamp though ( I live in Idaho we can get fairly cold, but i am a firm believer that the hens will be ok, "little house on the prairie didnt use heat lamps, etc")

3. bburn

bburn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Delaware, Arkansas
    Mine too is a metal shed. I am not going to worry until I see what happens. Ventilation I think is probably the most important and we have that. Electricity is not far away if we need it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by