metal shed coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by artsy1, Nov 11, 2011.

1. artsy1

artsy1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2011
    sarasota
    So I have been saving for sometime and I finally was able to buy a 10x8x6 foot metal shed.
    I had to buy one because DH didn't want to make me a chicken coop, so I have a blank slate. Any advise would be fantastic...
    I live in Fla. so it is hot allmost all year and I do have an aviary with parakeets in it.
    I have 7 hens -----2 are bantams, 5 are 2 months old. REgular sized.
    They have been living in the aviary, which was o.k. but I had to move them to the grassy area everyday to freerange on some grass.
    The floor in the aviary is shell, concrete pavers, very messy to keep clean.

If I can figure out how to post pix on here, I will keep you all updated.
    took alot of time and work to save the 300.00 dollars, hope I can get DH to set it up soon?

2. hmmcc123

hmmcc123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    University Place, WA
    Do a search for open air metal coop. I think you might find more information. I will look for one specifically that alot of people have talked about and liked.

3. hmmcc123

hmmcc123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    University Place, WA
  4. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Great design, hm. Truth of the matter is that all that`s needed in Sarasota is shade. Even a rainstorm is OK in sunny south FL. Before I moved my flock from WPB, my pens consisted of wire, with shade cloth for a top. Shade, fresh clean water, and food is all they require. If you are using a shed, especially a metal one, be sure to overdo the ventilation. Metal roofs are HOT. The link that hm posted showes a little of what can be done. but in your climate, more air is a plus. Have fun........Pop

5. artsy1

Sep 5, 2011
    sarasota
    thanks so much for the help. I can see where the heat could be a problem. I will definitly add alot of cut out areas that I will cover with hardware cloth for ventilation.
    I have a hawk who is always scoping out my yard for the chickens, I had to put ahuge net over the whole area where they free-range to protect them.
    I will also put it in the shade.

thanks again for your help

6. kingsfarm

kingsfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Artsy1 ... what kind of net did you put to protect your chickens?

7. artsy1

Sep 5, 2011
    sarasota
    So I went to the home depot or lowes and they sell these black nets that can cover trees to keep bird away from the friut.
    I bought 3 of them and I sewed a piece of cloth all around the edges to reinforce them, oh yeah first I sewd them all together end to end.
    they were about 14x14 feet each.
    So 3 of them together gave me alot of square footage.
    Then my hubby attached them to the roof, down across the yard onto the fence, so I have quite alot of room for them to roam. They are in the fenced in, netted up area, with no holes in it anywhere, I only keep them in there during the day, put them in lock-up at night, we have tons of predators even tho in city.

i would never leave them there if i wasn't at home due to cats, dogs, etc. but it is stretched pretty tight and much stronger then you would think.

8. <3 N.C Chicken Chick <3

<3 N.C Chicken Chick <3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2011
    Jacksonville N.C
  9. kingsfarm

kingsfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    artsyl ...Went to our local feed store and bought 3 bird netting (also used to stop deer) sewed together with zip ties a million of them (Ha) thank the person who invented zip ties....have 7 roosters in the covered area to test out the whole new area. . . used to be covered with a red fencing ...zip tied also...it would sag and put to much pressure on the fence post (white electric f post) I am a 72 year old female and built this myself this way because I am not able to dig, pound and excetera...Ha...I also zipped a (3') metal chicken wire fencing to the outside of the post (used to only have a plastic chicken wire to hold them - worked really well and it is up also with the metal fencing) .. very secure yard .. thank you for the information .. very helpful and looks so nice and neat.....can you understand what I have just tried to say? thank you it works great...better Ha..

10. critterrun

critterrun Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2011
    NJ
    ok I want to use a old metal shed
    I live in NJ and it does get cold
    I plan on making most of the front a wire dorr that can be
    closed up with wood inserts

what do you think?

Thanks
    Newbie [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by