metal shed ould it be a coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by abhaya, Dec 24, 2010.

1. abhaya

abhaya Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    cookeville, tn
    I am gonna build a new coop this spring. I have a friend who has a metal shed they said I could have If I want it. Would it be reasonalbe to build into a coop with insulation? or should I just start from scratch? I am a bit afraid of heat/cold and condesation issuses. What do you think?

Last edited: Dec 24, 2010
  2. Ms.FuzzyButts

Ms.FuzzyButts Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2009
    North Alabama
    It would be very reasonable to use it.. The most expensive part of a coop is usually the main structure itself. You can't beat free, so I say go for it!!

Edited to add: One of my coops is a metal building.. As long as you have adequate ventilation, condensation should not be an issue. It isn't in mine. Hope that helps.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2010
  3. BWKatz

BWKatz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    Columbia,SC
    With a few modifications, will make a wonderful coop. Caulk well to prevent leaks. Very good at keeping out unwanted critters

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I have condensation in mine in the winter- so I run a 100 watt bulb in there during the day to dry it out for the girls.

I have vents added in the roof, and plexiglass windows added by DH. But it really isn't enough ventilation. I need to add a vent somewhere else too. It gets hot in the summer, but it cools down by the time the girls go to bed.

I run one or two 100 watt bulbs for them when it gets down to freezing. The rain keeps the outer edge of the wood floor damp- so I stopped the deep litter method and treat the whole floor like a poop board. I scrape every day then sprinkle DE or sweet PDZ down to absorb moisture. It is working well

It is actually my favorite coop!
    [​IMG]

5. Kat'sChicks

Kat'sChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Minonk, IL
    Go for it! I have an 8X10 metal storage shed I had given to me that I'm using as the "big house" now. We put foam insulation board on the walls and lined that with plywood, linoleum on the floor and up the sides about a foot. I use deep litter with DE and toss down scratch so they keep it well turned for me. I had a 12"X12" tipout window and a 10"X4" oddball tipout that we installed on opposite sides for ventilation and a bit of light as well as register vents we put at the peaks and all around the tops of the walls. The vents are always open. It's wired so I have light and heated water through the winter. The entire west wall has 2 rows of roosts and I have covered litter boxes that my girls use for nest boxes (they like a bit of privacy, you know). We've had plenty of snow, wind and cold the last month and I haven't had any condensation issues so far. I'm hoping to add an awning on the front for added protection from rain and sun next spring. Of course, mine free range during the day, so the door is open to help air it out then. I have another 6X8 coop with covered run as well for my big chooks, but they've all decided they like the big one for their winter abode. It's ok though because I've ordered my new chicks that will arrive the first week of Feb. and they'll need their own coop when they're big enough to go outside. DH doesn't know about them yet [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by