Metal Shed Question

JerryO

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 15, 2008
Ocala, Florida
Now that I have my peeps(and yes they're cute), I've decided to use part of my extra income tax check to buy a 10 by 14 metal shed and then modify it for my girls. My question, do I need to buy the foundation frame for a floor, or do I just let the ground be the floor?

The ground can be the floor but you should consider lining the ground with some sort of wire like 1" welded wire, or even better - 1/2" hardware cloth.

This will help keep rats and other burrowing predators and pests from digging under and up into the coop for a midnight snack.

You can then cover the wire with compacted dirt and then use the deep litter method on top to make for easy cleaning.

One word of advice though on metal buildings - as you probably already know, it gets REALLY REALLY hot in Florida.

You will need to cut some ventilation windows (line with hardware cloth), and maybe even install a window fan to keep the inside of that tin can cool for the chickens.

Ideally you can put the shed under some heavy shade trees too!

Depends on the predator/cleanliness situation. I know I would prefer to have a floor instead of dirt, cause I don't want to worry about mud when it rains and icy sludge when it's cold. But depending on your climate you could get away with it. Predators are also a problem. It's easier to dig through dirt than a steel finger print encoded floor....just kidding....although I was tempted when I saw the fox.....LOL.... You gotta make sure it's predator proof, and keep in mind you can't sweep a dirt floor, at least not that I know of. Maybe if you packed it down real well and whatnot....It's mainly up to you, your climate, and your predator situation. Oh, and your budget, too. Good luck!!!

BTW, make sure you put adequate ventilation in there. I've heard metal sheds can get awful hot with the sun beating down on them, and roast chicken isn't that good if they're cooked alive....Not that I would know.......

Last edited:
I have a metal shed and a wooden one and the metal one gets really hot in the summer and really cold in the winter.

I put linoleum down - easy to sweep out bedding and poo - nothing stick to it. Pest problems will be easier to avoid with an artifical floor, but your birds will want to be out on the dirt too. I cut doors in my shed so they can go in and out and I shut it up tight at night.

Back
Top Bottom