Metal Sheds?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by calee, May 25, 2008.

1. calee

calee Out Of The Brooder

May 22, 2008
    Upstate, SC
    I found some metal sheds for sale and wondered if they would make a good chicken coop? I imagine it would be tough to cut the metal and it may get too hot in the summer. Does anyone know?

2. onecent

onecent Chillin' With My Peeps

hi, thats what im using, a neighbor gave me a good size metal shed, my brother in law cut out an opening for the flock to enter, & i attached a 10x20 dog kennel to it, works very well, & i am using cat litter boxes for the nesting boxes i also put shelves in there too & a roost

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. airmom1c05

airmom1c05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2008
    Raymond, Mississippi
    I'm in Mississippi, and I have a metal shed for a coop. Since the chickens come out of the coop at the crack of dawn, and the coop is raised off the ground and in the shade of two trees, it's not too bad.....yet. I am already putting ice water in their waterers; the temps are already in the mid 90s here. They spend much of the day under the coop. When they free range, they stay at the edge of the woods in the deepest shade available near the coop. I think you'll be fine with a metal shed as long as it's in the shade. I would advise raising it up on blocks so they can get under it to stay cooler on the hot days of summer.

4. calee

calee Out Of The Brooder

May 22, 2008
    Upstate, SC
    the coop is raised off the ground

Do you have to leave enough room to crawl under the floor to get eggs in case the hens get secretive? Or do they always lay in their nest boxes?​

5. airmom1c05

airmom1c05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2008
    Raymond, Mississippi
    Only once did Brandy lay under the coop, and it was fairly easy to rake it out. I had just introduced new birds to the flock, and I guess she was adjusting! [​IMG] Mine regularly lay in their cat carrier nests. Once, Ruth laid an egg on the coop floor (the nest she preferred was occupied) and the first egg Penny laid was on the coop floor. After I put golf balls in the nest boxes, they got the idea right away about where to lay. [​IMG]

6. momma's chickens

momma's chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    Idaho
    I also have a metal shed located in the shade and it works wonderfully. [​IMG] My chickens are not locked up in their all day, they spend most of their day in the run or free ranging. I think it would get too hot if you were going to keep the chickens in their alot.

Last edited: May 26, 2008
  7. Ms. Kitty

Ms. Kitty Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2008
    The metal storage sheds are what my husband is considering using.

8. asher

asher Chicken Enabler Extraordinaire

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    I posted this on another post, but for those that don't mind used, def. check out your local craigslist for these! People tend to list them cheap. You'll need help to haul it away, though!

9. Rhett&SarahsMom

Rhett&SarahsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    we are using a metal shed for our coop. Still putting it together:rolleyes: It is 8x6

We are going to be cutting "windows" into it and at the present time are planning on using the front doors for them to go in and out of during the day. Their run is going to be TALL!!!

10. Julie08

Julie08 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    I have used a metal shed in the past. The only problem I had is the rotten raccoons pulled the door open and got in at night.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by