Metal vs. Plastic

trudeaunicole

In the Brooder
Jan 22, 2016
What supplies do you prefer to use for chicks? Adults? Pros & cons of each for feeders and waterers are appreciated!

I live in Upstate NY where it reached -20 this weekend. I am leaning toward the metal heated base for winter. What do you think? Thank you!

Personally I looked at plastic, but to me they seemed hard to fill, so I went with metal.
I do heat mine with light bulb in cinder block. Inside waterer has done fine with a 25w bulb, lowest we have been this year was around 9*F with wind chill at -10*F or so.
The outside one had to go to 40w bulb for temps in the teens, but if it is really windy it has a bit of ice, but I just usually bring it in if its that cold when I lock everyone up at night.

I also use a metal feeder which I hang in the coop. Easy for me to fill, haven't had any problems so far.

A lot of people use the heated water bases, so if no one else chimes in, just search here on BYC and I'm sure you can find info on them.

Another option that seems popular is nipple watering systems. Those can be heated as well, so you might want to look into those as well.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom