1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Metal vs. wood nest boxes, which is best?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by angelseternity, Feb 2, 2016.

1. angelseternity

angelseternity Out Of The Brooder

Aug 13, 2015
    I am building my coop right now. Looking through all of my options for nest boxes and it seems like most are metal or wood.

Which do you think is better? And Why?

Thanks!

2. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. Either will work, but I personally prefer wood nest boxes as the temperature of the wood is less affected by rapid changes in coop temperature than the metal is. If you haven't done so already, definitely check out our Learning Center at https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center. There is lots of useful information there. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2016
  3. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

4. angelseternity

angelseternity Out Of The Brooder

Aug 13, 2015
    Thanks for the welcome and info!

I'm still exploring this site, there's so much good stuff here!!

5. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    You're welcome.

6. DavidLedesma132

DavidLedesma132 New Egg

Feb 2, 2016
    Wood would be better than metal because you are most likely going to crack an egg with a metal box.
    I know my profile picture dos not look good.

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    There are also plastic nest boxes and some folks like to use the hooded cat litter boxes - gives the hen privacy, which is what they like.

8. NickyKnack

NickyKnack Love is Silkie soft!

Hello!
    [​IMG]
    Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to join the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around BYC. X2 on Michael OShay's post.

9. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC. My nest boxes are rudimentary at best - large plastic basins / tubs - my girls don't seem to mind [​IMG]

All the best
    CT

10. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

Alright [​IMG] great to have you joining the BYC flock [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This hen likes wooden boxes but I have another who likes to put her eggs in the sand and another who found a fish aquarium I really leave it up to the lad's to choose but the big thing is to provide a comfortable quiet place ....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by