Metal Water Fount- What am I doing Wrong?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by serenityNH, Jun 25, 2011.

1. serenityNH

serenityNH Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2011
    Raymond, NH
    Hello!

I purchased a 5 gallon double walled water fountain at TSC and I can't get it to work right, what am I doing wrong?! It leaks everywhere and I must be doing something wrong, but I don't know what? I am sick of going into the coop and finding 5 gallons of water slowly leaked everywhere, I keep having to change out all the shavings which is going to get quite expensive!
    I'm getting very aggravated [​IMG]

Did I just get a crap brand or is there a trick to these water founts?

Thanks!

2. andalusn

andalusn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    Ridgefield, WA
    Is this the kind that has the outer cover that slides down over the well of water? I have those and find an issue if not really level. If it s fairly new take it back and exchange it. Maybe there is an issue with the pressure points on the side that release the water???

3. serenityNH

serenityNH Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2011
    Raymond, NH
    Quote:Yes, that's the type. I thought it not being level could be the problem so I put it on a level surface and it still leaked. I am going to take it back, I hope they will give me my $ back I think I'll try a better brand?

Anyone know how the plastic water fountains that you plug in are? I just want a good fountain that I can heat in the winter and not have it soak the coop [​IMG]

4. andalusn

andalusn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    Ridgefield, WA
    Of everything I have available for the birds to drink from, this is their favorite. It can be plugged in during freezing weather and just used as is the rest of the year. I just keep it clean and full. They will drink from it before using their "bird" water by the coop. This was #2 that I picked up during a freeze and as you can see its multipurpose... Yep, its a elect dog bowl, cat bed, chicken water bowl.

[​IMG]

5. CacklingCarolyn

CacklingCarolyn Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2011
    Louisville, Ky.
    I bought te same type of waterer from TSC about 10 days ago and have had no problems. I also have a 3 gallon plastic one and like it well also. If you plan on using apple cider vinegar you might not want a metal one.

6. CacklingCarolyn

CacklingCarolyn Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2011
    Louisville, Ky.
    Quote:I have this bowl for my barn cats. I did not know it had so many uses though![​IMG]

7. BellevueOmlet

BellevueOmlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    LOL, I love it as a cat bed. That is what my cats would do too [​IMG]

Does it fill up with dirt fast? I used to set out a bowl of water and the chickens would get so much dirt in it and walk into it that it did not work for me.

8. LilyD

LilyD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2011
    Bristol, VT
    I also have the same waterer and we actually had to make sure it had a level pad to place it on so it wouldn't leak otherwise it will be empty in an hour and the floor will be covered in water.

9. ChickenAl

ChickenAl Diagnosis...Chicken-Headed

Jun 5, 2011
    Putnam cty, NY
    Make sure it is level. As others have said, it will drain out if it is not. You can tell by looking if the water is flowing over one edge of the bottom. If you have a seam open in the top that slides over, then that could cause it too. Ours has not been a problem. It sits on a level cement block. You could also try hanging it to get it to level itself.

10. LilyD

LilyD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2011
    Bristol, VT
    Another thing that causes them to leak is if you don't latch the cover on when you slide it on you have to turn it a bit so it latches on the peg on the bottom. If it isn't latched it doesn't work properly either.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by