Metal Weather Vane a Lightening Conductor?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by gkeesling, Nov 27, 2009.

1. gkeesling

gkeesling Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2008
    Hagerstown, IN
    I just put one of those metal chicken weather vanes on the top of my coop roof. It's painted black, but all metal. My questions is - will it be a lightening conductor and burn down my coop if lightening hits it and should I put a ground wire on it, or will it be ok and I should just leave it as it is?

2. cameldairy

cameldairy Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2009
    Cairo, GA
    good question, I have always had weathervanes on buildings with no problems, but now I wonder the same thing. I tried looking this up on the internet but didn't really have any luck, so maybe someone here can give us some insight.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2009
  3. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Nah, a normal weathervane is not going to make any meaningful difference in a shed's chance of getting hit by lightning, are pretty much indistinguishable from zero anyhow [​IMG]

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

4. cameldairy

cameldairy Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2009
    Cairo, GA
    Thanks Pat, my hubby will be SO glad he didn't get THAT added to his "list"![​IMG]

5. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

The only exception might be if it were the highest thing on the property. In that situation the vane can be grounded. I've never had to do that, but I'm sure somebody has! [​IMG]

6. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

My "MoonRakers" are about 70 feet in the air on a steel pole an has never been hit but my neighbor on the ridge has lightning rods on his roof that are hit all the time.

7. Chickie'sMoma

Chickie'sMoma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Rochester, NH
    it used to be that lightening rods had glass 'insulator' balls on them. i've only seen them on one old house in our area still. houses now have grounding wire running from the roof down into the ground as a precaution.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by