Metallic foul odor coming from dog, HELP!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by kelseygirl707, Feb 21, 2010.

1. kelseygirl707

kelseygirl707 Dances with Chickens

Mar 3, 2009
    Lakeport, Ca.
    Ok, so I know this is totally gross but...

We have a 2 year old Mastiff/German Shepard mix, and today he got off the couch, and there was a small wet spot on the cushion, then there was a very strong foul metallic odor that took over the room [​IMG] , DH and I both were gaggin, we opened the door, and lit an incense stick, so the smell is gone now (Unless nose is within a foot of the couch cushion). Now this has happened once before about 6 months ago, what is it, is it a-n-a-l glands, I have never had any problems with dog a-n-a-l glands, we now have a pug, and were told we have to have his expressed, but this is from our big dog.

Anybody ever had this horrible problem? [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 21, 2010
  2. kelseygirl707

Mar 3, 2009
    Lakeport, Ca.
    Anybody? [​IMG]

3. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Songster

Apr 13, 2009
    Ohio
    It sounds like it is potentially those back end glands. My dog has never left anything behind but we do have to have his glands expressed about 3 times a year. Never had a dog that needed it before but this one does. We take him to the vet for it. I just can't do it myself.

4. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Probably the picky glands. I used to work for a vet and I remember the metallic stink. We used to draw straws to see who had to assisst. [​IMG]

I didn't say picky, but the censor program is a hoot sometimes! [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 21, 2010
  5. kelseygirl707

Mar 3, 2009
    Lakeport, Ca.
    Eww, that's what I was afraid of. DH's cousin does it herself for her pugs, and I watched a youtube video on it, but If it smells like that smell I smelled earlier, I think I would [​IMG]

6. kelseygirl707

Mar 3, 2009
    Lakeport, Ca.
    Quote:Lol, I know. I had to change mine to A-n-a-l

7. CityChicker

CityChicker Songster

Mar 21, 2009
    If that is what it is, you should be able to tell and expressing it is fairly easy and straightforward (although, I am not necessarily advising doing it if you don't know how to do it, LOL). I am more inclined to think though that it might be something kidney/bladder related because blood in the urine can have that smell. You will sometimes smell it especially right after they come inside from going out to the bathroom. Watch where he goes to pee and see if as he is finishing some blood comes out at the very end or if there is some in the puddle.

If it is the other thing that is censored (LOL), there will usually be other signs like sliding their butt on the floor.

8. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Slightly off topic, but I just wanted to point out that raw feeding generally alleviates the booty problems because the higher bone-content poops require more "straining" by the dog so the dog does it himself. No vet trips or gagging involved.

To me it's a BIG benefit of feeding raw [​IMG]

9. reveriereptile

reveriereptile Songster

Mar 17, 2008
    Northern NY
    One of my mom's dogs use to leave those stinky spots till she took him to the vet to get his glands cleaned. Didn't have the problem anymore as long as she had them cleaned once in a while.

10. BlackBart

BlackBart Songster

Mar 29, 2009
    A groomer should know how to express the glands too, might be cheaper than a Vet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: