Method of clipping turkeys' wings?

ninjapoodles

Sees What You Did There
11 Years
May 24, 2008
Central Arkansas
We're preparing to let our turkeys out to range for the first time this weekend, and we plan to clip wings first. What's the consensus on whether to clip just one wing, or both? From what I can gather,, the reason to clip just one is to put the bird off-balance, because if you clip both, there's a possibility that a determined bird could still get some height, merely by flapping harder.

The reason we're clipping at all is that it's the only compromise my husband and I could reach--he is afraid they'll fly over the 6' fence to the neighbor's property, or over the other side into the woods. I just want them to be able to get out of their pen and run around some.

i have always clipped both wings on my birds. if i clipped one wing they always seemed to still be able to get enough air under them to make it on top of things. Now mine have figured out how to jump on the flight netting of the pheasant pen and catapult themselves into my neighbors yard...
th.gif

Quote:
Right--does it work, in practice? Have you done it? They can go wherever they want, if they'll just PLEASE stay inside the 6' perimeter fence!
fl.gif

You'll have to try it with your birds. My turkeys are broad breasted bronze... it's a miracle they make it the 6 inches up into the coop. LOL

I usually don't clip wings for reason of predator escape, but I did have to go ahead and do it on this one leghorn who kept getting into my garden. Stopped her from flying over the fence... didn't stop her from squeezing under it.
barnie.gif

Quote:
Right--does it work, in practice? Have you done it? They can go wherever they want, if they'll just PLEASE stay inside the 6' perimeter fence!
fl.gif

What happens to an airplane when it looses a wing or a part of a wing? If you clip both wings you haven't done anything but shorten the flying surface.

I caught wild turkies and there only months old but I keep them in my yard till I build another coop. I clip one side so when the try to fly they kind of do a halp circle a few feet in the air and land instead of flying a half a mile. Just clip off the longest feathers so they are just as tall as the ones on the back side of the wing if the dosn't work trim them a tad bit lower. That should work.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom