Methods for determing sex in VERY young chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Queen of the Lilliputians, May 16, 2007.

1. Queen of the Lilliputians

Queen of the Lilliputians Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2007
    Maine
    Ok, clearly this isn't scientific, since I couldn't vent sex if my life was at stake!

I'm just wondering if anyone knows any tricks to determining sex in VERY young chicks (less than a week). I purchased 10 from the feedstore, and all were supposed to be pullets. Of my two RIRs, one seems much bolder, has a different comb than the other (it just looks more.. businesslike if that makes sense.. a little wider and bigger).

I had read on the old BYC board that Speckled Hen had a way to tell Barred Rocks from days old.. Curious about that method? I have 1 that is very black, one that is medium, and two others that are a lighter black nearly verging on gray. All of the big head splashes, though, so no idea if the color on these guys means anything, and all are fairly docile and calm.

I don't know, but I will tell ya that someone gives the I'm IN PAIN/SCARED/WARNING loud chirp whenever the cat walks by. All the rest are silent! LOL

And don't worry.. when they get older I'm sure I'll post pics for you guys to guess at. They're probably really to little for speculating on right now.. but hey, it amuses me!

-Meghan

New Mom to 4 Barred Rocks, 4 New Hampshire Reds, and 2 Rhode Island Reds

2. allen wranch

allen wranch Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    San Marcos, TX
    It depends on the breed. Some are sex-linked so the males are different colors from the females. They can also be wing sexed, but I believe that is also only in certain breeds. and within a few days of hatch

The one that sounds the warning alarm may very well be a male, unless it is an alpha female.

Otherwise, you will just have to wait....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by