methods to keep chickens out of flower beds

P-F

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 4, 2008
Delphos, Ohio
I love letting my chickens free range. esp since they make their way to the barn and clean up spilt feed
However they are destroying my flower beds.

I really don't want to restrict them to their fenced pen but I have invested a lot of time and money in our landscaping

Has anybody discovered any deturants to keep them out I know their are products for dogs and cats and deer was wondering if anyone has come up with anything that works!

I have thought about using the decorative garden fencing but that would be expensive and I don't think it would be tall enough to keep them out.

There is rabbit fencing I have seen some people use. Though a determined chicken will probably go right over that?

I bought the cheap chicken wire (very flimsy and has two inch holes) at Lowes. I think it was for $30 for 50 feet and it is two feet high.
I have two thirty foot long flower/tree beds on each side of my yard. I simply use this to keep the chickens out.
The one thing I like about it is it is so cheaply made that you have to be right on top of it before you even know it is there.
I have had it in place since early spring and have not had a chicken go over it yet . I have a couple of blackberry bushes on the one side and they love blackberries and they try to go through it but have not gone over.

I let my older barred rock hens (4 of them) out in the evening when Im out to supervise. They used to make a bee-line to my house to scratch around my well mulched flower beds. Ive been chasing them out, and Ive even got Sweetie to where she'll chase them out of there. Now they hardly ever go there, they go straight to the paddocks where the horses dribble their grain, or to the barn, where theres just all kinds of goodies. But I do stay outside with them to make sure they dont sneak back.

about an hour and a half at 350 degrees should cure it!

ep.gif

ok...not funny

Back
Top Bottom