Metronidazole doseage..

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Sherol, Oct 17, 2016.

1. Sherol

Sherol Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2015
    San Antonio Tx
    I think I am dealing with blackhead. I have ordered some Medpet 4 in 1 but have been reading and see some have used meteronidazole. I have some from my fish meds.. it is a powder, Can I use it and what would the dosage be? Should it go in their water or should I dose them individually?

2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

What fish product is it? You can use it, but need to use the correct amount. Let me know what it is and I tell you how much to use. You also need to know how much your chicken weighs.

-Kathy

3. Sherol

Apr 7, 2015
    San Antonio Tx
    [​IMG]

It started with pox in some Legbars I got. It ran through my main flock of birds this spring. So figured it would run its course in these guys. Then started to see weight loss and eyes always half closed. I thought cocci but they did not respond to the Corrid like my others did when they got it. Then saw some yellow in the feces. So now thinking they have blackhead. I also ordered the Baytril with the 4 in 1 but after much reading saw the use of the metronidazole I have some on hand because of my aquatic hobby. Do I just add to drinnnnking water or get a bigger dose down in them? Still have the pox and the sores on the combs.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2016
  4. Sherol

Apr 7, 2015
    San Antonio Tx
    Forgot the weights. One weighs 478 grams and the other 642 grams that I have inside. They are getting more attention as I am trying to keep them eating with the weight loss. I am pretty sure the other 6 Legbars I have are losing weight as well.

5. Sherol

Apr 7, 2015
    San Antonio Tx
    Dosage? Also how to dose the safeguard goat worker I got. So I make a solution or dose as is... And how much.

6. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

The metronidazole dose I use is 50 mg/kg. Is the powder you have 100% metronidazole? The Safeguard dose I use is 0.05 ml per 100 grams orally for 5 consecutive days.

-Kathy

Last edited: Oct 21, 2016
  7. Sherol

Apr 7, 2015
    San Antonio Tx
    Pure metro..powder. So I feed the powder direct? Pretty sure dont have scale that small so any idea how to get close to what I need?

8. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

If you haven't used any of the powder yet you can measure out the number of teaspoons or tablespoons and calculate a dose based on that.

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by