Metronidazole for Zapping Canker: Inconsistant Instructions & Dosages

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by GardenerGal, Jun 8, 2011.

1. GardenerGal

GardenerGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 20, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I have been treating a bantam hen for canker, using Metronidazole tablets. TShe was wheezing for several weeks and I thought it was a respiratory thing, until I felt her throat and found the canker (and smelled it). The tablets are 250mg, my hen is around 22oz. I have been giving her 1/4 tablet (a little over 60mg) a day. So far she has had two doses (two days), and will get a third tonight. Today, her symptoms are hugely reduced and she is showing marked improvement. She is not wheezing, the "blob" in her throat is way smaller.

But, how long do I treat her, and is the dose she's getting a safe one? The instructions on the container say "1 tablet for a large bird, 1/2 tablet for a small bird for 5-7 days or until symptoms stop. " That's pretty vague. I don't want to stop the medication too soon because I don't want any of the varmints to gain resistance. But I don't want to keep dosing her for too long and I don't want to give her a 125mg dose if 60mg works.

Any thoughts from people who've successfully handled canker in their flock?

2. Blue_Myst

Blue_Myst Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    At least 7 days would be best. It sounds like she has canker in full swing, and at least a full week of treatment would be best for her, unless she's reacting badly to the medication.

If you don't mind me asking, what respiratory symptoms does she have? I've been wondering if one of my hens has canker, and this is the firs time I've seen someone actually talk about it and the treatment. Thank you very much if you can answer! [​IMG]

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
  4. GardenerGal

Dec 20, 2008
    Massachusetts
    The link dawg53 posted is one of the places I found when trying to research canker treatment. It's really helpful.

The symptoms in my bantam hen were mostly gasping for breath with her beak open and neck stretched, wheezing even when her beak was closed, occasional sneezing, and foul odor from her mouth or breath. I gently felt the length of her throat and found a marble sized thing halfway down, that I could move around a bit but couldn't dislodge. She didn't have any growths in her mouth, and maybe that's why the rest of the flock hasn't gotten it (no varmints in her drool to contaminate drinking water). It's because there was no visible canker in her mouth and the symptoms developed slowly that I let it go for so long without realizing. She probably has been infected for a month.

Since the second day of drug treatment, that object has gotten smaller, and she is breathing without wheezing. and eating with no difficulty. In fact, I just checked, and she appears completely normal and is eating like a pig. I'm amazed that the results were so fast with just two 60mg doses.

My concern was mainly that recommendations for both dosage and length of treatment are all over the map. Since she looks totally "cured," some might say to stop dosing, but my gut tells me to use a five-day treatment to make sure the protozoans are totally eradicated. I don't want to OD my hen, neither do I want to underdose.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2011
  5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    You said it, "my gut tells me to use a five-day treatment to make sure the protozoans are totally eradicated." You are your best vet.[​IMG]

6. GardenerGal

Dec 20, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Thanks for the backup, dawg. The reality is, we have to be our own vets because farm vets that have expertise in poultry are hard to find. I've lost birds without ever finding out what was wrong. On the other hand, I've had some success too, especially when I paid attention. It's a real trial and error thing, working with living creatures.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by