1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Metzer ducklings have arrived!! (UPDATE W/ PICS!!!)

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Bring, Sep 30, 2009.

1. Bring

Bring Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2009
    New Mexico
    Well they are here! Unfortunatly one perished but the other nine are doing great! I'll post pics a bit later. ( sorry to disapoint). They are in a homemade brooder with food and water and a light for heat. They are eating and drinking. I've had to refill their water twice now. Quick question about the light. Do they need the light on all night? It's a dome light with a 100wt bulb in it. They are cuties. I wasn't expecting them to be so small though. They are so tiny. When can my children handle them? My kids are gentle with animals and will be supervised. Will the ducklings get sick if handled to much during this time? They were hatched Monday so they are only two days old. I'll post pics as soon as I can.

Think you can handle all this cute??

[​IMG]

My two cayugas and three chocolate runners. Two of the runners are going to their new home today and we will be keeping the other three.

[​IMG]
    One of the chocolates. She's so cute!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Brooder set up.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2009
  2. Amyable

Amyable Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Greenleaf, WI
    Yes, pictures!!
    [​IMG] babies!

3. Luvducks

Luvducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    Colorado
    Should have the light for warmth at all times until they decide to move away from the light. The ducks will continue to be drawn to the heat as long as they need it.

What breed are they? Cannot wait to see pics!!!

4. Bring

Bring Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2009
    New Mexico
    I have 1 Cayuga drake, 1 Cayuga duck, 1 chocolate Indian runner duck. The others belong to two other people who went in on an order with me.

5. CorralitosSunflower

CorralitosSunflower Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2009
    Corralitos
    Yes I agree, they need light all the time, or rather heat all the time. I put in a little open ended cardboard box in our brooder so mine could chose to have darkness if they wanted but still be warm [​IMG] They are sooo cute! My 3 yr. daughter helped me hatch the eggs we picked up from Metzer and she handled them regularly, under supervision from the hour they were fluffy and dry out of the bator. No problems. Just be careful letting them follow you around, it would be so easy to accidently step on one if they take to running after your feet. The more they are handled the better I say, they grow up much friendlier that way [​IMG]

6. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

BABIES! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Let the kids handle them often. Just make sure they don't get chilled and you supervise the play time. The more they are handled now the friendlier they will be as adults.

8. TK Poultry

TK Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    mine were and now they are like dogs!!!! sometimes it drives me crazy but they are awesome!!! all my friends think its cool how my ducks are like lap dogs!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by