metzer farms and shipping ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by cw, Dec 10, 2009.

1. cw

cw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    green co.
    well i am in ky ans gonna order some ducks from metzer in ca
    they say they will be fine being shipped that far this time of year
    my question is are ducks that much more hardy then chickens ?
    i am ordering 20 or so
    and anyone got something to say about metzer?
    i imagine there like any other hatchery

thanks to any and all replies

2. nettie

nettie Enslaved by Indoor Ducks

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    we're getting ducklings sent to chicago next wednesday form metzer. We've got 7 all together coming, two of which we're keeping, 5 go to another bycer. Ours get a heat pack since the order is so small, but 20 should be fine... and you are more south than we are.

3. cw

Jan 11, 2009
    green co.
    please let me know how it turn out, and thank you so much for your reply, they are gonna be a christmas gift for my hard to shop for wife,
    and wont it to go as smooth as possible

4. nettie

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    This is my third time with metzer, each time i ordered 2 before and the ducklings came out great. They are all beloved house pets (two are mine, two are my old roommates). They are sweet birds. There will most likely be a huge post by Duck_feeder when they get here. He's my bf joe and they are going to be his ducks... He likes to take lots and lots of pictures. [​IMG]

5. nettie

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    oh and i am getting runners! at least one black, one blue, and the other five are assorted runners.... that's what you were wanting to get right? All the ducks I've gotten from Metzer were runners... And they are absolute sweethearts!

6. tia

tia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Valdez, Alaska
    My eggs came from Metzer and they were packaged very well for shipping. We want to see pictures of the ducks when you get them. : )

7. cw

Jan 11, 2009
    green co.
    yea i am getting runners and khaki cambells ans some black swedish, i am feeling better about this after talkin to you guys, thank you
    and i will do my best to take pics
    but please remember i am from kentucky and wee aint what yall call cumpuwter smart

8. suburbanduckmom

suburbanduckmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Belmont, CA
    I went to Metzer to pick up one of my ducks. Their birds seemed to be very well taken care of and the staff were great.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by