Metzer Farms geese?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by rilly10, Aug 24, 2010.

1. rilly10

rilly10 Clover Field Farm

May 18, 2010
    Pottstown, PA
    I am new to geese and really want a few now that I moved to a larger farm. I am interested in sebastopols, americans, and maybe tuffed romans. My question is I would like 4 or 5 total (just as pets) I MUST have sebbies but would like a few other breeds for variety if they can be mixed.

So my question is...does anyone have any of these breeds from Metzer? Do they have quality stock? Have you been happy with them?

Thanks in advance!

2. Olive Hill

Olive Hill Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2009
    I have Buffs from Metzer Farms. Mind you we're not interesting in show quality, but we are happy with them. They're a friendly, interesting bunch, do a wonderful job of mowing the lawn, arrived healthy, happy and have been thrifty and robust from day one. We just added them this year and will be breeding for butcher, so haven't processed any yet but they look to be filling out nicely as we go along so we're happy with that aspect as well.

Here they are at almost three months old:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. MsMelvin

MsMelvin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2009
    We ordered a pair of Metzer's Buffs, as pet quality, this spring but the male did not survive past two weeks. He was well cared for but just lacked the robust and vigor right from the first day forward. He was even smaller than her.

(The female is growing nicely, posesses a great personality and is happy. Took her first flight last week at two months and twenty days old).

I have read here, that other folks have had young goslings (and ducklings) just die that were ordered from Metzer as well. I informed them; they expressed thier condolences (and are very nice people) but did not offer to replace him. That was mid June, past hatching season for the American buffs.

I will be ordering a pair of Americans from Holderreads this year for Spring arrival. The BYC gang has reported positive results with Dave's stock...

Good luck; who ever you choose! Geese are definately awesome. : )

4. rilly10

May 18, 2010
    Pottstown, PA
    Thanks so much! So do you think Holderreads would be a better bet?

Those buffs do look nice though! [​IMG]

5. JROOSTER

JROOSTER Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2010
    Louisiana
    I got 4 American blues from Holderreads this year and they are all doing great!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dont have any grown up picks I need to get some.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2010
  6. rilly10

May 18, 2010
    Pottstown, PA
    OMG sooo cute! I love the american blues and lavs! I am thinking maybe a trio of sebbies and a pair of americans...one blue one lav. I would LOVE to see adult pics if you have any!

7. Lund121671

Lund121671 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    Wisconsin
    I am 99% sure that Hollderieds sold all of there american buff geese this spring or late last fall! Found out after I called to order some more goslings!!!!! We do have american buffs that are stunning birds for pets or show out of Hollderieds lines. We ship in the spring. www.lundpoultry.com

8. Jenifer Kraus

Jenifer Kraus Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Kansas
    I think he did sell out of his Buffs. I have an American Lavender from him also. When I purchased the AL Dave had said I should end up with blue out of the buff to lavender mating. I have purchased quite of few Sebastopol geese from him as well and have been extremely happy with all of them.

9. jojo@rolling acres farm

[email protected] acres farm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    Nebraska
    I have ordered from Metzer farms for the last two years - I'm one of their biggest fans - they have great birds. I've have several Roman's from them that are wonderful and I also have a pair of tufted buffs that are simply beautiful. I can't say enough about their birds and their customer service. All the birds arrived safely and were strong and vigorous right from the start and have grown into beautiful adults. When I've e-mailed with questions or comments about their all new and improved web site...John Metzer himself answered the e-mails. I'm a customer for life! Metzer farms is AWESOME!

10. sillysister74

sillysister74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2010
    I never bought birds but was very satisfied with my book order.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by