Metzer Farms???

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Cuqui18, Apr 24, 2011.

1. Cuqui18

Cuqui18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Concord, Ma
    im ordering cayuga duck eggs in a while and i was wondering how peoples experience w/ metzer farms is??? im trying to figure out where to order them from (ive never hatched before, but im excited!)

2. Eroc1_1

Eroc1_1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2011
    Quote:I ordered my ducks through another hatchery, however, I do believe they are a middle man for Metzer. The Cayuga we got from them are doing well!

3. FarmrGirl

FarmrGirl MooseMistress

Jul 1, 2009
    Southern Maryland
    I ordered 7 ducklings from Metzer last year and they all arrived happy and healthy! I haven't had to deal with customer service because I didn't have a single issue with the babies. Most of my ducks are from Holderread though so I notice a big difference between the lower quality of the grown ducks from Metzer... especially the runners. But they're all still very healthy and robust so I can't complain about anything other than markings! If you want sexed babies though, you have to look at other hatcheries because Holderread doesn't offer that.

4. DuckLover179

DuckLover179 Waddles & Puddles

Nov 28, 2010
    California
    I got my 2 ducklings from metzer's. They arrived very healthy, warm, happy, etc. and they still are today. I highly recommend them. If you are looking for show quality, then go to Holderreads. Metzers, and Holderreads are where most of us get our ducklings from (And we all love them!!!). [​IMG]

5. The Duck ABC's

The Duck ABC's Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2011
    The have a page where they state how their birds rank when it comes to show quality.
    http://www.metzerfarms.com/DuckBreedComparison.cfm
    They are breeding for strong healthy birds and not so much for show quality. That is fine with them and they are not trying to sell something they don't have. For the best quality around you have to go for holderread, but you have to pay an upprice for show quality. Even for the show quality ducklings, and only 1/3 of them will actually become show quality. There are plenty of high quality small breeders out there, but they do specialize a lot and are harder to find.

6. AllthingsG

AllthingsG Out Of The Brooder

Jan 13, 2011
    Metzer Farms - Have Orderd Numerous Times - Totally AWESOM Birds And Customer Service. Each And Everytime!

Go For It!

Joni

7. Cuqui18

Cuqui18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Concord, Ma
    Quote:thakns! have you ever ordered "Eggs" tho?

8. FarmrGirl

FarmrGirl MooseMistress

Jul 1, 2009
    Southern Maryland
    I've never ordered eggs from Metzer, but I've ordered them from other BYCr's and on ebay. I've always had pretty good luck with hatch rates except this last time when I ordered goose eggs from a BYC auction. Goose eggs are harder tho.

9. jojo@rolling acres farm

[email protected] acres farm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    Nebraska
    Never eggs - but I would imagine you'd still get great customer service and the babies that hatch will be awesome. If I were looking to buy eggs - it would be one of the first places I'd look. I couldn't be more impressed. John Metzer is not only a waterfowl guy - he's a people person! They do a great job over there and I can only imagine that things are going to get better and better. The Roman Tufted and Tufted Buffs I have from him are very, very nice birds. I was planning on getting another pair or two of the Tufted Buffs - unfortunately, they are all sold out for this season. I'm disapointed - but looking forward to next year. Based on the pair I rec'd last year - his Tufted Buffs are well worth the wait!

Good Luck with your order.

Joni

BTW - I have two user names - home vs. work - couldn't access my account one day for some reason and opened a new account. I'm also AllthingsG - as in goats and geese.

10. Gulfstream

Gulfstream Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2011
    Metzer Farms was great. Ordered online 6 Swedish Blues. Arrived on date specified. Happy healthy warm and fed. They are 5 months old now. Definitely recommend them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by