Metzer's catalog

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by TLWR, Jan 22, 2011.

1. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    It arrived today [​IMG]
    Told DH I wanted a Sebastopol goose because they looked cool. Until I saw how much those cool looking suckers were - not to mention I know nothing about geese.

Maybe I'll get my blue runner girl and ask that duckling 2 be a black male runner. We'll see. If I do, I'll do it in the summer again, was handy to have them outside from day 1 on the back patio/porch/deck.

2. rentmecheap

rentmecheap Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2011
    Mine came the other day. Looking at the golden layer hybrids. Anyone raised them? Thinking on getting 15 or 20.

3. sianara

sianara Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    Central MA
    Quote:I got 3 Golden 300 hybrids from Metzers almost 8 years ago. They are great in personality and laid like crazy for the first 4 years or so. The next two years laying was lackadaisical and these last 2 years not at all but the first four years more than made up for it. They laid well over 340 eggs each per year EACH! I still have two of my original 3.

4. treldib

treldib Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2010
    Southern California
    Quote:I got the catalog a few days ago as well.

G300's are awesome ducks. Ours (Kip) has been laying for about 5-6 months now and has outlayed any chicken I've ever seen. She has never missed a single day. Even when molting or in the middle of winter (if you can call a SoCal winter...winter. lol). And she lays big eggs. They are like twice the size of the eggs our Black Swede lays...which are already pretty big. Neither fit in an egg carton.

5. awesomefowl

awesomefowl Argues with Goats

Does anyone have some photos of their Golden Layer 300s? I'd like them because they lay well but are they really as boring-looking as they look in the catalog?

6. Rosebud 18

Rosebud 18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    middle Tn
    I got my catalog today to and am going to order the golden 300's and welsh harlequins. I don't think they are boring looking. I want a male and 2 females of each breed.

7. treldib

treldib Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2010
    Southern California
  8. jack & mommy's duckies

jack & mommy's duckies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2010
    I didn't get my catalog yet....but I ordered everything off line. My order is just over the $500 mark....and I still have to fly them in (Canada).

I got sebbies, and super africans....and 2 of almost every duck they have. I also ordered a trio of Golden Layers.....I can't wait. I love to eat duck eggs. I so can't wait.

So far love everything about metzer farms.....and soon I'll be busy loving their birds....

9. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Quote:https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=417599

They definetly aren't as boring as they look in the catalog. While at Mezter Farm I saw a bunch of the adults and they are pretty cool looking ducks...highly variable too

Thanks so much. I had seen them in the McMurray catalog and thought the same....ugly boring ducks...but after seeing the actual picture, they look pretty cool...I swear the hatcheries would do much better if they had actual pictures vs. those drawings or sketches.

10. sianara

sianara Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    Central MA
    They are not boring looking at all in person. In fact whenever "non animal people" come to my house and see those two they always say the same thing "Wow, those ducks are really pretty. I didn't know ducks could be so pretty." I usually respond with "Then I guess you've never seen Wood Ducks or Mandarins [​IMG]?"

Last edited: Jan 23, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by