Metzer's White Layers?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by treldib, Jul 17, 2010.

1. treldib

treldib Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2010
    Southern California
    Anyone have experience with them? I have a Golden 300 hen and she is awesome. I was wondering if they are more 'dirty white' than Pekins as I love the pure white of our pekins but don't like that large size and very, very loud QUACK [​IMG]
    Thanks.

"Kip" my 5 week old Golden 300 , and her best friend, "Ady" the Black Swedish in the pool [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 18, 2010
  2. treldib

Jul 5, 2010
    Southern California
    Anyone?

3. bock

bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    I considered getting one, but I didn't. [​IMG] Sorry.

4. treldib

Jul 5, 2010
    Southern California
    Quote:Any particular reason why?

5. sianara

sianara Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    Central MA
    I have not had one of the white layers but I have three 7 year old Golden 300s that I love. They laid an unbelievable # of eggs per duck (350+, I kid you not!) for the first 3-4 years but the next few years they quality of the shell suffered and these last two years they don't lay at all. I would imagine the white layers are similiar, but I don't know about their personality. The 300s have a fantastic personality.

If you don't get many responses to this thread you could always call Metzer's and talk to (or email) John Metzer directly. I've talked to him a few times over the years and he's a really nice guy. He will answer you honestly. When I got into ducks he was very, very helpful.

6. treldib

Jul 5, 2010
    Southern California
    Quote:Hmm...odd about the complete stop in laying...yea my Golden 300 is amazingly sweet and friendly, I love her to bits. We drove up to Metzer Farms to get the two you see in the pictures and we talked personally with John. He is a very nice guy and pretty helpful too. I just happened to not be interested in the White Layers until I found out how amazing the Goldens are.

7. bock

bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA

Well, I didn't really buy my ducks specifically for eggs. They are mainly just pets, though I do enjoy the eggs I get. I figured I might as well spend my money on purebreeds. I get plenty of mixes every year around here. [​IMG] I know they aren't just some random mix, but I still prefer a purebreed. Just my opinion though, they would probably be a good choice for you. [​IMG]

8. treldib

Jul 5, 2010
    Southern California

Well, I didn't really buy my ducks specifically for eggs. They are mainly just pets, though I do enjoy the eggs I get. I figured I might as well spend my money on purebreeds. I get plenty of mixes every year around here. [​IMG] I know they aren't just some random mix, but I still prefer a purebreed. Just my opinion though, they would probably be a good choice for you. [​IMG]

[​IMG] haha Thanks

9. treldib

Jul 5, 2010
    Southern California
    Does anyone keep them?

10. HiddenHill Heretic

HiddenHill Heretic Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Santa Cruz, Caliphas
    Ive got 10 out of my 40+ Metzer sexed girls. I also have golden 300s. I like the Whites, similar in temperment, prettier and smaller than pekins. Try em. Min e are 14 weeks. email me for pics. good luck luke

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by