Mexi... stuff.

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by PineappleMama, Nov 28, 2010.

1. PineappleMama

PineappleMama Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm a little of this little of that type cook and that most often rears its head with Mexican style foods.

Today's Adventure...

Black and Pinto beans, cooked earlier and frozen, defrosting in the mic.
    Meanwhile saute up onion and garlic in bacon grease.
    Get 1 cup jasmine rice cooking... all I had left of the bag I bought...
    Once defrosted mush the beans (I used my mini chopper) then add to skillet.
    Fry them well, then added a can of drained rotel (the liquid was in the rice pot), and a hunk of velveeta cubed.

Slap it into a warm tortilla... with or without some tasty cheese on top... onions and for DH sour cream...
    Have taco meat ready from before so I'll throw some of that on top

Not organic, by any stretch, but pretty dern yummy overall.

And a good way to use the extra bit of rice, beans and meat leftover from other things.

Was going to thaw and heat up the chicken enchiladas (have two batches from last made in the freezer) but I'm not sure if the kiddos will be home or stay another night at Nana's and didn't want THAT much food if it turns out to be just me and DH.

So... whatta you guys like in a Tex Mex way?

2. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Pineapple, I have to say, I don't know the diff between Tex Mex, Tex, and Mex. I'm a New Englander, but I ADORE black beans and burritos (even the horrible frozen ones).

Wish I knew more. But if I did, I'd probably be 120 pounds heavier, just from the educational process.

3. Nekhebet

Nekhebet Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Erie
    Well, I'm not sure if you'd call it Tex Mex...my husband is Mexican, and I've dated a ton of them, so we tend to make a lot of mexican "stuff". It's pretty much one of our favorite food types, along with Japanese and Thai...except that we actually have some inkling on how to make some of it.

One thing I make that one of my ex-ex-ex...ex-bf's mom used to make is beef and potatoes with salsa verde.
    So essentially you get some beef...like round...and cut it up into cubes. Then you fry it with onions and potatoes, also cut up into cubes. You can marinate the beef in beer, if desired. Then you top it with Salsa verde and serve with tortillas. It's very hearty and delicious this way.

Salsa verde: couple tomatillos, onion, a tomato, salt, jalepeno peppers to taste. You boil everything except the onion and salt. Once the skin on the tomato is bursting, pull all the veggies out and stick in the blender. Add the onion, the salt and some of the boiling water, then blend. You can make this as hot as you want, and it does have a very nice flavor to it. [​IMG]

Anyway, that's one of my favorite things, served with the tortillas of course, some beans and sour cream if desired.

4. PineappleMama

PineappleMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Tex Mex is basically the Americanized (some say bastardized) version/s of Mexican Cuisine that've sprung up...

There are as many different recipes for chicken enchiladas as there are for chili... if that gives you any idea?

And I hear you one the weight... I'd be better off if I hated Mex food, Italian, American... basically any kind. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by