mexician speckeled bobwhites male or female?????????

Discussion in 'Quail' started by slates860, Oct 6, 2010.

1. slates860

slates860 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 5, 2010
    i have 5 mexician speckled bobwhite quail and was wondering if there was any specific way of telling them male from female such as color etc...????????
    4 of them seem to have all black and white faces and the last one has like an orange face????????
    thanks

2. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    In All Bob Whites The Males Face Or "mask" Is Black And White Striped, So Orange Is Your Girl...

3. Thegamekeeper

Thegamekeeper Out Of The Brooder

Oct 2, 2010
    ENGLAND UK
    Spot on. [​IMG]

4. slates860

Oct 5, 2010
    Quote:thats what i was figuring , that kinda sucks i was hoping for it to be the other way around so i could get the eggs an possibly breed but now i only have one pair

5. slates860

Oct 5, 2010
    should i make some kind of nesting box in there pen for the pair to breed ? and should i sell off the other 3 males or will they all be fine with one female
    when will they start laying?
    i just recently got these birds
    thanks again for any info

6. JJMR794

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    They Will Not Tolerate Excess Males. As Far As Nesting--- Mine Wont Use Nest Boxes. None I Have Ever Had Would Ever Use Nest Boxes. They Just Pop Out The Eggs And Move On...

7. slates860

Oct 5, 2010
    Quote:alright thanks for the advice, so i should put just a pair together and take the other males out ?

8. JJMR794

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    That Would Be The Best Advice... But, Dont Get Rid Of The Other Males Until Your Sure She Will Olerate The 1 You Put Her With (i Have A Black Widow Hen.... All The Bachelor Lads Take Turns Taking A Beating..)

9. country freedom

country freedom Chillin' With My Peeps

I'd keep the extra males - and breed each to the lone hen, as a pair, (change males every two or so months) - and incubate their eggs.
    That way, you'll have some chicks that aren't full siblings, to be bred together.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by