meyer cornish x rock

chickabator

Songster
12 Years
Nov 30, 2007
ky
I got a phone call this morning from the post office and Peggy said Cathy your babies are here, so I throw my clothes on go to the post office and find 50 very alive and loudly chirping cornish cross rocks well they didn't send 50 they sent 52. they are eating and drinking without any help from me. I did not even have to show them where the water was or dip their little beaks at all. they look wonderful. my other ones that I got from hoover hatchery a week ago(just 6) have almost trippled in size in 1 week. we weighed one 2 days ago and it was already almost 7oz and it wasn't even a week old yet. these things are going to be huge. This is my first time trying to raise them so wish me luck. (P.s. they stink) no matter how much I clean out the brooder they poop it full in a matter of minutes!!!

Congratulations on your new babies. Yes they do stink, especially in the brooder. I think it's better when they are a little older and outside where the sun can dry up some of the poo. Today is the last day for my meat birds, they go in first thing tomorrow. I can't believe how HUGE they are! it took a few hundred pounds of food to get them to this size, but I think it will be worth it.

we are going to process ours ourselves. dh and myself. we have butchered our extra cockerels before and (he butchers them) i just pluck them and clean them. How long should I let them age before putting them in the freezer? I am also thinking about canning some of the meat too. I have a pressure canner and I know that is what you have to use on it. I don't know yet.

I read online that after processing, they need at least four hours to let rigor pass so the muscles can relax, then you can freeze them....

Yes they do stink, especially in the brooder. I think it's better when they are a little older and outside where the sun can dry up some of the poo.

deffinately! if you are able to free range them it's a whole lot better.​

How exciting!! My jumbos are 4 weeks today. Yes they do stink a lot! They poop and eat all day long. They are very gentle birds and they don't mind that my two kids pick them up over and over and over. I have 24 and they all are doing really well(from MMs.) Good luck!!!

chickens4weeks001.jpg

chickens4weeks003.jpg

Quote:
I know this has been stated to death, and I know the formula is 2:1 as far as pounds of feed eaten per pound of bird gained. I get all confused with conversion ratios though. It just doesn't click in my mathematically challenged brain. On 50 Cornish X chicks, how many hundred lbs of feed do I need to count on for them during their short tenure at our farm? I'm hoping to process around 6 weeks.
Thanks again for sharing your knowledge with a greenhorn like myself :O)

M

I just looked at all of my receipts for food purchases for my 20 cornish X. I bought seven 50lb bags of feed for 8 weeks total. If I'm doing my math right, it comes to about 350 pounds of feed divided by 20 birds. So each bird consumed 17.5 pounds of food each in that 8 week period. That seems a little low, but I kept all my receipts and if I did the math right, that is about what it will be. So for 50 birds you will be buying at least 875lbs of feed if you had them 8 weeks. If you only have them six then obviously it will be about 150 pounds less. (I think)
hu.gif

Back
Top Bottom