Meyer Hatchery - Anyone use them???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by new2chickens, Mar 4, 2008.

1. new2chickens

new2chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2008
    I saw that they can send as few as 3 chicks depending on your location. Just curious if anyone has used them?? I plan to talk to the feed store and go to Tractor Supply, but in case they don't have what I want (3 Buff Orp females, 2 EE females, and 1 EE male) I would like to look into other options.

Sarah

2. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    yup I got eight they were great good sirvice and nice birds. Hopefully I will order again [​IMG]

Henry

3. equine chick

equine chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2007
    pennsylvania
    I bought 25 last year from them and all birds are thriving and giving me great eggs. The service was great, but the birds for hatchery birds are great quality. I will be buying again later this year.

4. new2chickens

Mar 2, 2008
    Do they charge a small order fee?? I looked at another site that the total for the chicks was $17, but then with their small order fee made the total $42 before shipping.

I found a local guy on Craigslist that has what I want for $27 and its local so no shipping.

Then the other site $17.00 before small order fee $42 before shipping

Meyer - $12.29 before shipping (if they don't charge for small orders)

Sarah

5. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    meyer will charge a small order fee. Just as bad as My Pet Chicken because it is the same company MPC might take alittle off the top though so they might cost a few $ more.

Henry

6. ebaribault

ebaribault Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2008
    Antrim, NH
    I just received my babies today and all are well and warm.
    The shipping was a little expensive,but the added price was worth it for not a single loss in winter in NH.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2008
  7. new2chickens

Mar 2, 2008
    So the $27 to go with a local guy might be slightly more worth it!
    I just thought that was pricey when I saw $17 and $12 for them, but didn't take shipping, etc into account!

Lets hope Tractor Supply or the feed store has what I want for less than $27!!

Sarah

8. plapczynski

plapczynski Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2008
    Chillicothe, OH
    It looks like you are in Texas.
    Ideal Poultry is in Cameron, TX
    It might be easier and safer for the chicks to drive the 2 hours and pick them up rather than risk the shipping from Ohio.

Ideal will ship small quantities with insurance, so I would think that you could pick up a small batch as well.

9. seafood

seafood Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Awaiting my first order ever. Coming from Meyers in 2 weeks. Were very nice over the phone. Great selection of chicks, website was user friendly...although they are currently working on it.

Worth it to me to spend the extra $$ on shipping to get the chicks I want and all pullets.

10. new2chickens

Mar 2, 2008
    I may have to look into Ideal also. I plan to go talk to someone at the feed store and tractor supply to check and see what they are getting (if I can get what I want) and how much.

Sarah

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by