meyer hatchery chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by urban chicks, Feb 17, 2014.

1. urban chicks

urban chicks Out Of The Brooder

Oct 2, 2012
    i am ordering some chicks from meyer hatchery, the breeds are barred rock, buff orpington, easter egger, speckled sussex, and white rock. i was wondering if anyone ordered any of these breeds from them and if you can tell me how the birds personalities are and any picture. any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. coop-er

coop-er Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2012
    I have buff orps and barred rocks from meyer ( among many other breeds) and their personalities are great and they are fantastic layers. Meyer sells great chicks. Have fun!

3. Cacique500

Cacique500 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2013
    Atlanta, Georgia
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. urban chicks

Oct 2, 2012
    thank you guys

5. moonflowerfarms

moonflowerfarms Out Of The Brooder

Jan 15, 2012
    Golden, CO
    I am getting my chicks in two weeks, and I was worried about the same thing. I'm glad that everyone who has replied has had good experiences.

6. nurschic

nurschic Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2014
    I bought 15, got 16, chicks from Meyers at the begining of Feb…..they are 3 weeks old now and knock on wood, I have not lost one yet! They are very healthy and have great temperments. I picked out 4 breeds I really wanted and the rest are a mix of breeds. I would order from them again in a heart beat! I used the chat function on the website too and they were very nice and helpful!

7. urban chicks

Oct 2, 2012
    thanks good luck with your chicks.

8. LTygress

LTygress Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2012
    I have not purchased any from Meyer Hatchery myself. But I can tell you that all of the birds in their photos are birds that they, or an employee, actually own from hatchery stock. Found that out recently when a horrible breeder in our area got caught with a copyright violation.

Oh my goodness! Another person from Atlanta! And with BARRED ROCKS! YAY!

You should join us on YO GEORGIANS! :) thread

9. jklw88

jklw88 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 7, 2014
    I'm not necessarily blaming Meyer, but just so you know, I got 15 Easter Eggers from them last Thursday and since then 2 have died and 1 is very sick. They all arrived looking healthy and chipper, though, so who knows. I also only got 15 chicks, when it should have been 16 including the "Meal Maker".

(My thread is here if you're interested: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/858178/more-chicks-are-dying-and-i-still-dont-know-why).

[​IMG]

That said, Meyer was very obliging and offered me a credit or new chicks for the ones I'd lost in the first 48 hours. There is a good assortment of colors and personalities. I ordered all female and am wondering if one is a male, because he runs over and tries to peck me whenever I put an object or my hand into the brooder. The others are all curious or standoffish but not remotely aggressive.

Good luck with your chicks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by