1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Meyer Hatchery - Help!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Tactical Chili, Sep 12, 2016.

1. Tactical Chili

Tactical Chili Hatching

Sep 12, 2016
    Help!

I just joined this website about 10 minutes ago. I am stressed out. I have been looking around for info about Meyer Hatchery and I am immediately concerned. I wish I had found this site before. Anyway, I am just going to start a new thread. Forgive me if this stuff has been addressed already in a different thread.

I ordered 3 Welsh Harlequin ducklings from Meyer Hatchery in Ohio. These will be our first ducks. Seems like a good place - then I read on here somewhere that Meyer Hatchery doesnt even hatch ducks and that they are actually coming to me (in Georgia) from Metzer in CALIFORNIA? I hope this isnt true. I guess its too late to worry about it now.

The ducks are coming USPS and all I have is an "arrival window". They are supposed to get me tracking info once they ship. Once I get tracking, can I pick them up somewhere here (maybe a hub?), before they get to my local post office? I dont want the babies in the box longer than they need to be - especially if they arent really coming from Ohio.

Please help! If there is anyone on here with experience getting ducks shipped I would appreciate any advice you have for me. Thanks everyone!

2. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    Hi there! Welcome to BYC! I personally would call them and ask them directly and state your concerns!

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Six years ago I ordered my Indian Runners from Meyer. I was surprised, because they did come from California and I was not aware of that before I ordered.

And they were fine.

They hatched on a Monday or Tuesday and were sent via USPS, the post office. I am in New England, by the way. I got a call 7:15 a.m. Wednesday, and went right down to the post office to pick them up.

You can verify how it works by talking to customer service - I have found them very helpful. Also, to help calm yourself, contact your post office and have them explain how they handle it. Something I learned is that sometimes the closest post office is not the one they get shipped to - it goes to the post office from where the delivery trucks get your mail. So if you give a heads-up to the postal staff and make sure you are all on the same page, that can help.

Get some gro-gel to give them the day they arrive, it's a nice boost. Have the brooder ready and temperature control tested out ahead of time. I picked up each duckling from the tiny box they shipped in, dipped their bill in lukewarm water in a china cup, and placed them into the brooder.

4. Tactical Chili

Tactical Chili Hatching

Sep 12, 2016
    Thank you! We are all ready for them - once they get here. I am just stressed. I will be calling Meyer and the post office tomorrow to make sure I am doing everything right. Thanks again.

5. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I really like your name [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by