Meyer Hatchery: Might be ordering from there...

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by ChickLover98, Nov 19, 2011.

1. ChickLover98

ChickLover98 The Chicken Princess

Apr 24, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    I am probably ordering Americaunas and another large fowl, brown egg laying breed from Meyer Hatchery. Which birds are the best from there and how is the quality of the birds. Please share your expiriences so that I can order the best! Thanks! [​IMG]

2. fratmor

fratmor Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2010
    ny,ny
    I started with 26 chicks from meyers, they all lived. They are doing fine, I lost one this summer which was my EE its my avitar picture.

I don't know if I would use them for breeding.

I got a RIR from a local who hatches eggs and when comparing it to my RIR from meyer the meyer feathers are not as deep in color.But I'm only looking for healthy chickens that lay well .SO YES I would order from them again. I just need an ordering partner near NYC that I can share an order with.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2011
  3. ChickLover98

Apr 24, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    Thanks! I tried adding them to my cart, but the BRs that I liked won't add to the cart! [​IMG] It says they're in stock... Well, I'm heading off to fiddle with it some more. [​IMG]

4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

The only experience I have with Meyers is the purchase of 25 of their "Golden Buffs" aka red sex links or Bovan Browns, most likely. Great layers, happy go lucky, little hens. Lay like you'd expect for an RSL, 300+ their pullet year.

100% alive when shipped and 100% alive today, over a year later.

I doubt ANY hatchery sells anything more than EE's though, but you probably already knew that on the Americaunas, at least that is my understanding.

5. ChickLover98

Apr 24, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    Yeah, I assumed that. I got the BRs to add to the basket, but now it wants me to add 6 more chooks to my basket to make an order of 15! [​IMG]

6. Louise's Country Closet

Louise's Country Closet Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Garrison, MN
    I personally love Meyer! We had ordered 15 last winter and received 15 on the expected date and all of them were very happy and very much alive even though it was spring and still not overly warm here. They're all still alive and just now starting to lay, and they're pretty too! Not like you would get from an actual breeder, but I expected that when I ordered so I'm definitely happy with what I've got. One of them I named Buffy, is a Buff Orpington and the sweetest little chicken even though she's hardly ever handled. We use her in our ads and when I made a video of our chicken diapers I used her and everyone comments on how docile she is. I'm ordering more from them for spring again next year [​IMG] I can't wait!

7. thekid

thekid Chillin' With My Peeps

Meyer is the best, their minium order is three [​IMG]

8. ChickLover98

Apr 24, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    In months Nov-Feb, the min is 15. [​IMG] Thanks for the input! I was going to get nine chooks, but I have to clear the whole 15 thing with my family, so I don't know if they'll be in for that.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2011
  9. Louise's Country Closet

Louise's Country Closet Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Garrison, MN
    Oh it's just six more [​IMG]

I've tried telling my hubby that before and he wouldn't go for it so good luck winning them over!

10. ChickLover98

Apr 24, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    [​IMG] We're going for it! Just as soon as the stupid page decided to load. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by