Meyer Hatchery muscovy

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jdywntr, Nov 23, 2012.

1. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    So, I just got my new Meyer Hatchery catalog and they are selling Muscovy again. They are offering blk/white pied, blue/white pied, chocolate, rare, white and assorted. I will assume that other hatcheries may begin again too.

I will most likely be able to find some local ducklings/ducks to expand my bloodlines but I would really like to add some whites to my flock.

I have not ordered from any hatchery except Metzer. Does anyone have any experience with Meyer and in particular their scovies?

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    No 'scovy experience, but I ordered my runners from Meyer and they were good to work with, everyone arrived safe and healthy.

3. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    I would be extremely careful when ordering Muscovy ducklings because they are supposed to be more fragile than Mallard derived breeds. I believe it's similar to why most hatcheries don't sell Call ducklings.

4. jdywntr

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Thanks Amiga.

Thanks Kevin

I know that they don't ship as well. They don't have as much yolk sac and need to eat in a shorter time period than most ducks. But many hatcheries that did sell them stopped when the government was trying to decide if it was going to be legal or illegal to breed/sell/ship muscovy.

I don't have an incubator and I don't plan on getting one since I only want to have animals that can propogate on their own. I may look into hatching eggs but don't know if I really want to deal with that. I was seeing a decent amount of scovy on craigslist here, thats where I found mine but my male isn't as big as I'd like. I do have a hen setting on a nest right now with another ~2 weeks to go so I will be waiting anyway. I just want to see if anyone has gotten any from them and the experience they have had.

5. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    I would be happy to ship you some whites from our flock. They travel very well (we had 15 shipped into us when we first got them) plus we wont load the box with packing peanuts or charge small order fees. These are all french Whites and the drakes are huge. You can ask Marty about them, she received three adults from us recently. Have three ducklings just hatched this week, some hatching eggs available weekly still, or can collect and set.

By the way CUTE puppy!

6. jdywntr

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Thanks Celtic. You are actually who I would look to in order to get them since I know that you raise them and raise them well. My hopes are that my hen's clutch produces some good breeders or if not to find some locally at a later time. I DON'T want to brood anything again. I want the moms to do it for me. [​IMG]

He is an adorable pup that my hubby decided we should get. Great protection line. Hubby can't decide if he should be outside though. We decided to name him Yukon. He is one smart pup. Raised with dogs and goats. Virtually no human contact until 8 weeks old. We've had him for a week, inside. He's already whining/barking at the door to go out to potty. Completely ignores the birds, though he's scared of the geese.

7. CelticOaksFarm

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    Our youngest is 7 months old now almost 8 and is outside 24/7 now with the 3 year old male. We moved him out full time this week. Before that we starts at 9 week old with him outside with us around the animals with our 3 year old female along. Then by 4 months he was able to be out for part of the day without much worry if the female was with him. His outside time has been with us, or tethered to one of the adults so he could learn. He has a dog house and is tied at night so he stays close to the male and where he spends most of his night. He stays tied during morning let out and then let loose. He wont be left loose and alone with the animals until he is 2, before then they are just large puppies who want to play.

Ours are Titan (3), Luna (3) and Goliath (7 months)

Thanks for compliments, let me know when you are interested, and or what age range you want. We have some good moms and a couple who live to sit eggs from this group.

8. jdywntr

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Thanks for the info Celtic. I'll let you know if I'll want some ducklings/eggs probably not til spring. I don't know how many of the 22 eggs my hen is setting will hatch. [​IMG]

9. CelticOaksFarm

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    [​IMG] for a 80% or better hatch rate!

oh hubby told me to mention this: Our two 3 year olds were not left outside alone with the animals until they were 1.5 each. The male started living outside full time then. Since they didnt have an adult dog to learn from and before then were both interested in playing. The male has always been more relaxed and easier to train than the girl.

10. Talihofarms

Talihofarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2010
    save

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by