meyer hatchery sells deformed chicks!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by team edward, Aug 13, 2010.

1. team edward

team edward Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2010
    Amarillo Area
    i ordered from meyer hatchery and i got a blind chick, a chick with a deformed beak, and a chick with a deformed leg it was so sad to see them struggle every day with their defects and eventually they all died [​IMG]

2. Thundrr-Chicken

Thundrr-Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2010
    Dover, Ohio
    i own 8 chicks that i know of that came from meyer... they are doing very well at 3 months old now... i think every hatchery sends out some bad ones and some good ones... sorry you got some bad ones though

3. DaveP

DaveP Out Of The Brooder

Nov 30, 2009
    Sunny Florida

Last edited: Aug 14, 2010
  4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Some sneak through.

I suppose on hatch day with a sea of chicks before your eyes, you sometimes miss the obvious ones with deformities.

I would contact them... perhaps they'll give you credit for a future order.

5. BantieBabe

BantieBabe Out Of The Brooder

Jul 28, 2010
    Texas
    i had trouble with my meyer chicks too...two have deformed beaks. but they all survived which is more than i can say for murray mcmurray hatchery

6. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Quote:I've only ordered from one hatchery.. McMurray... 11 of the 27 died within the first 3 days. But I think they've dealt with that issue.

I hatch my own now.

7. cracked_egg

cracked_egg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2010
    I have ordered 84 chicks from Meyer (this year)! Of those, 1 had a limp, one had a deformity that I saw when I picked them up and they replaced it, and 1 died... That's it, in all 84 birds.... I think that is pretty good numbers! I had some single combs on some wyandottes (and dominiques) but that is just hatchery quality for you.... I think they do their best, are easy to work with, and in general a very nice hatchery... Now, I *probably* won't buy from them in the future, but only because I'm changing my focus to show quality birds [​IMG].

Sorry you had such bad luck, call them, they're great to work with!

8. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    I agree with Thundrr-Chicken - every hatchery does. [​IMG]

9. HBuehler

HBuehler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Lebanon TN
    Every hatchery. Had some this year come with their legs up over their head..wasn't Meyer.My Meyer order was fine.BTW I had beak issues with top breeders chicks this year..it happens to everyone even when you pay around $10 a chick with shipping.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by