Meyer Hatchery Shipping Error

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by belto, Mar 12, 2012.

1. belto

belto New Egg

Mar 16, 2010
    I just got off the phone with Meyer's customer service to get the shipping details for my order placed last December. I ordered 3 chicks (2 Black Copper Marans and 1 Welsummer) for overnight delivery to NY ($38 for shipping...ouch!). First time ordering chicks through the mail…..I can't get the Marans locally.

I called to get tracking info for tomorrows delivery (took the day off). She says they were shipped today and I should be receiving them in 2-3 days...I asked her why 2-3 days?.....I paid for Overnight Express Mail? She said sorry....we sent them Priority Mail by mistake.

I am very upset. I had reservations about ordering only 3 chicks through mail order during the winter, but hoped for the best since they would be delivered overnight. Never again.

I asked her to ship another 3 overnight as I took the day off tomorrow, and she said no, they had no more chicks left.

I know people make mistakes….but its sad to think 3 baby chicks may suffer for it. I hope they make it.

2. PaintedWolf

PaintedWolf Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2012
    Kitsap WA
    Don't you hate it when you take the day off work and someone makes an error like that? I'll keep my fingers crossed that your 3 babies make it okay! I am having 4 shipped to me today as well, and am very worried about them...it's all I can think about. Please let us know if they arrive safely!

3. belto

belto New Egg

Mar 16, 2010
    PaintedWolf, were yours shipped overnight? What did you order? It seems to me that a small order of chicks mailed during the winter months should ONLY be shipped overnight.....Priority Mail 2-3 days should NOT even be an option for an order of just 3 chicks. Please let me know how your chicks are when they arrive.

4. chkinut

chkinut Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2010
    Leesburg, Ohio
    please keep us informed when they come in! i'm sure they have a heat pack with them. but still, i would be upset too. are they going to reimburse you for the overnight shipping?

5. belto

belto New Egg

Mar 16, 2010
    Yes, they said they are going to reimburse me the difference in the shipping charge. I am also going to request an extension of the 48 hour time frame they set for reporting chick losses. The added stress that my chicks have to endure is due to Meyer's negligence. I'll post here when they arrive.

6. PaintedWolf

PaintedWolf Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2012
    Kitsap WA

Belto, I ordered 4 chicks (welsummer, light brahma, black australorp, and easter egger). This is my first time ordering through the mail as well. I was told they would arrive within 1-2 days, although they did say that rarely some shipments took 3 days. I called my post office to let them know I was expecting them, but I haven't heard anything yet. I, too, am very worried about them arriving late. I placed the order in January and asked that they be shipped in March, thinking that mid-March would be a warmer ship date. However, it is unfortunately snowing here right now. I will let you know when they arrive, and please do the same! I hope we both get our packages shortly!

7. the_great_snag

the_great_snag Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Staples, Minnesota
    Yeah, unfortunately, on hatch day they box up and ship every bird that they get, so there would be no way to just send you another shipment, at least until the next hatch day. :(

I hope it comes out ok for you. I have had issues with getting chicks 3 days after hatch and losing several too, but the hatchery made it up to me. Doesn't make it better for the little birds that died, but mistakes happen.

8. curranchickens

curranchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2011
    Fredericskburg, VA
    Good luck all! I have always wondered about hatchery issues and will follow this thread. Hope your chicks arrive healthy and happy.

9. the_great_snag

the_great_snag Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Staples, Minnesota
    Only other thing I can add is try to buy closer to home. For instance, living in MN, I get much quicker shipping times from McMurray, Hoovers, Strombergs, etc who are within 500 miles of me.

10. ragerkid2

ragerkid2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    Johnstown Pa
    I hope your babies are okay!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by