Meyer Hatchery Welsummer Bantams. Are they any good?

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by AuberyMirkwood, Dec 2, 2011.

1. AuberyMirkwood

AuberyMirkwood Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2011
    Clovis NM
    I just noticed today that in my Meyer Hatchery catalog that they had Welsummer Bantams. I have never ordered from Meyer before. I am not interested in show quality. I simply want dark eggs in Bantam size from healthy birds. Does anyone know anything about these?

Thanks!

[​IMG]

2. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    You are going to be disappointed. They are NOT going to be as dark as their larger cousins. More like a range from light tan to medium tan but nothing like a terra cotta color.

The Marans bantams seems to be more advanced in the egg shell color. If you want something DARK, this may be the route to go.

Here are my bantams

[​IMG]

Welsummer Bantam eggs (breeders NOT hatchery)
    [​IMG]

If you want the REAL thing, better get some from a breeder, not a hatchery because you would have questionable lines or some crossbreeding going on. If I ever find out who was the breeder who has been supplying the eggs or distribute shipping chicks out, if he is that good, I would be announcing all over the place. As of right now, I would be very very leery of Meyers or MPC's Welsummer Bantams. I am almost sure those are not of Holland/Amestein lines but of possibly coming from a breeder out in WA lines.

Meyer is really misinterpreting the egg color, I have not yet seen ANY of that dark.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by