Meyer Hatchery

I purchased 5 (with one extra to make 6), a year ago this past spring. I ordered them on the weekend, they shipped Monday, and I received a call from the post office Tuesday. I had no losses, everybody was healthy and hungry. So far, in the last year, we've lost our leghorn (the extra) to sickness, but otherwise, everybody else is happy and healthy.

My 11 chicks were hatched/shipped April 30. We got them 3 days later in upstate NY. All alive, quite active and happy to be out of the shipping box. The RIR had been pecked at the top of her beak a little so we gave her extra attention and she came along just fine.

We did end up with a Delaware cockerel (Dexter) instead of 2 Delaware pullets. So we are now watching him grow up with our selected Salmon Faverolle cockerel, Fabio. Meyer gave me a wee bit of grief over the gender of Dexter when I informed them I got 2 cockerels. I never bothered to go back with current photos to prove the point. They offer a 90% gender guarantee and that is what we got for the pullets so there really isn't any point in arguing the issue.

Last edited:
I got ducklings this time they are all supposed to be girls, the chicks I got were all girls though. I just figured live animals would be overnight or 1 day, just seems so long.

I was very worried too. But the chicks did great. They were well packaged. I did call the PO prior to them being shipped and again when I got notice that they had been shipped. I also ordered when the weather wasn't at either extreme to increase the success rate.
As soon as the chicks arrived, they went into the brooder with electrolytes in their water and their fermented chick feed which I made extra wet to make sure everyone rehydrated well. After I showed about 3 of the chicks their nipple waterer, they all took right to it. That little chick waterer is now forever known as the 'baby bottle'.

I got ducklings this time they are all supposed to be girls, the chicks I got were all girls though. I just figured live animals would be overnight or 1 day, just seems so long.

I can honestly say I've gotten very lucky. The 1st 6 I got from the feed store were all pullets. The 6 I got from the Meyer's order, all pullets. The 3 I got straight run from a breeder in my town, pullets. It wasn't until I purposefully purchased a rooster that I got a male.

Back
Top Bottom