Meyer Hatchery

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by beth123, Apr 21, 2009.

1. beth123

beth123 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 1, 2008
    We ordered 50 chicks from Meyer Hatchery and got them last thur. 14 have died. I was just wondering if anyone has had this recently too?? Lately the chicks seem disoriented, hard breathing problems, balance problems, and there eyes are mostly closed. Kinda of like being really drunk.
    They seem fine at first and then one or so has this problem.
    Does anyone know or has experienced this problem and what can I do? I don't want to wait it out and end up losing half the order. I already have started with putting Duramycin-10 mixed with there water to solve a CRD, its the only thing I can think of. As soon as I quarintne one and after awhile, another one has the same symptoms. Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Lil Chickie Mama

Lil Chickie Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    California
    Just a couple of questions: Did you order them vaccinated or not? What is your brooder set up? Are they eating and drinking regularly until they develop symptoms? [​IMG] Hope all goes well and you don't lose any more chickies [​IMG]

3. beth123

Dec 1, 2008
    I did not get them vaccinated.
    The brooder is about 95
    They are eating and drinking fine

I just went in there and one was laying on its side, it was unsteady when it was walking, this is how it was with the others They seem fine and then I find them laying on their side, when I pick them up their head is floppy and they try to lay on their back.

4. Lil Chickie Mama

Lil Chickie Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    California
    What I meant was what all do you have for your brooder? What kind of litter do you use? Did you cover it up with paper towels or anything for the first few days? What are you feeding? Do they poop regularly? Is their poo normal? Is their any discharge or mucus? I'm sorry to ask so many questions, but I'm just trying to figure it out for you. Working on it hun. [​IMG]

5. beth123

Dec 1, 2008
    We have paper towel in the brooder, we are feeding nutrena chick starter/ grower. there poop is normal, the one that died had not poop for over 6 hrs. when it did it was bloody.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by