meyer hatchery

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by allmychickens, Sep 11, 2011.

1. allmychickens

allmychickens Just'a small town girl

Aug 4, 2011
    Washington
    Are their birds good? health problems? acuracy sexing? Hows the service? dead chicks in your order??
    I wanted to perchase a polish, easter egger, salmon favorolle, and a Exchequer Leghorn from them.
    is there a better small order hatchery??

2. bald k9

bald k9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2009
    Rural Edwardsville
    When I ordered from MYPet Chicken, the rainbow special, when the box came it was from Meyer hatchery, they all arrived alive and healthy But!!! The mixture wasnt that mixed, out of 25 chicks 14 were barred rocks, I wanted alot more different colors , but all in all they were healthy

3. allmychickens

Aug 4, 2011
    Washington
    Quote:well i'm ordering specific breeds so i dont think that matters [​IMG] healthy is good

4. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Quote:This time of year the Hatcheries normaly struggle to fill the Foo-Foo bird orders so it is very common to have them drop shipped from other hatcheries regardless of location. Placing an order in the late winter for spring delivery is the best bet when dealing with the "Walmart" chick industry. All of the hatcheries private egg contractors gear their season in the spring when their flocks are laying heavy and can fill the hatcheries quotas for hatching egg's....................... Only the hatching is done at the hatcheries thus the name, the birds come from contractors that live within 100 mi and can deliver X amount of hatchable eggs regardless of the quality of the laying stock.

5. allmychickens

Aug 4, 2011
    Washington
    Quote:This time of year the Hatcheries normaly struggle to fill the Foo-Foo bird orders so it is very common to have them drop shipped from other hatcheries regardless of location. Placing an order in the late winter for spring delivery is the best bet when dealing with the "Walmart" chick industry. All of the hatcheries private egg contractors gear their season in the spring when their flocks are laying heavy and can fill the hatcheries quotas for hatching egg's....................... Only the hatching is done at the hatcheries thus the name, the birds come from contractors that live within 100 mi and can deliver X amount of hatchable eggs regardless of the quality of the laying stock.

i was gonna order for spring [​IMG]

6. Schwartzfarmnc

Schwartzfarmnc Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    West Jefferson
    Quote:I have only good things to say about Meyers, I order 16 birds on March 10th all came healthy and they sexed all 16 correctly they are beautiful, we did lose 2 a few weeks ago but nothing that could have been done, and not Meyers fault at all. We love our girls and will be purchasing more this coming spring also.

7. silkielover5

silkielover5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2011
    Hudson WI
    we ordered from them a few time the first batch was happy and healthy chicks otherwise the second batch we had got sick they all died but 1 when they were like 2 weeks old, and the third and last time we ordered them the delivery guy left them in the back of his truck over night and they all froze to death.

8. blitz1027

blitz1027 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2011
    Natchitoches
    I've made 3 orders from them. Well pleased with what I got. Sexing was 100% accurate and the birds are absolutely beautiful.

9. mtnviewfarms

mtnviewfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

We got 54 Barred Rocks from Meyer as day olds last March - all arrived alive - two died the first week but not Meyer's
    fault. ALL were accurately sexed. We ended up selling off half the birds but that's because Meyer actually doubled
    our original order - long story - anyway - we now have a flock of 24 Pullets and 3 Roosters who hare now 28 weeks old
    and began laying at 20 weeks. They are gorgeous birds - extremely healthy - laying a consistent 22 beautiful brown eggs PER DAY and we could not be happier with our Meyer experience. We plan to selectively breed our birds and sell them
    locally but in the event that we needed additional stock we would order from Meyer - highly recommend them.

10. theghostandmrchicken

theghostandmrchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2011
    I ordered a dozen of fertilized eggs for RIR.
    Results...
    they gave me an extra egg,
    7 hatched and are alive today (5 months later)
    2 went spolied on me, and
    4 were unfertilized.

I ordered 5 RIR day old pullets with 100% accuracy.

So far I have had good service with them. I lost my day old chicks in the mail, but that is not their fault it was the Post Office.

Today I have 12 RIR that are healthy and happy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by