Meyer hatching eggs for sale

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Jenna14Chicken, Sep 5, 2016.

1. Jenna14Chicken

Jenna14Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2016
    OH.
    Has aanyone ever got the chicken assorted hatching egg thing? I'm thinking about getting it if one of my hens goes broody. If so what breeds does it come with? Are they good breeds? Mostly roosters or hens? Please any help will be appreciated very much. Thanks

2. Jenna14Chicken

Mar 19, 2016
    OH.
    Anyone?

3. n8ivetxn

n8ivetxn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2011
    Elma, Washington
    I'm probably not much help.... Do they have this package listed on their website? It might give details about breeds included....

Regarding roo/hen ratios, I read somewhere that any given hatch can have close ratios of the two sexes. That seems odd to me, in most livestock, the males have "track records" that record the sex of their offspring. In roosters maybe it's different and they produce close to 50/50 offspring.

4. Jenna14Chicken

Mar 19, 2016
    OH.
    Thanks for the respond, yes they have it one there website but said nothing about the breeds. :( I figured there was no way I sexing a bird through a egg but was kinda just asking random questions that popped in my head since its my going to be my first time hatching. But thanks anyway I didn't think anyone would respond.

5. BaileyMChicks

BaileyMChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2015
    Wisconsin
    Roosters don't determine the sex of their offspring; the hens do. Just to let you know. The hen is the one who has the two different genes, and the male has two of the same, if that makes sense. It's like how in humans, the male has xy and the female has xx, except for chickens the genders are switched. So the hen would have the 'xy' and the rooster would have the 'xx'. I hope that makes sense.

6. Weehopper

Weehopper Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2015
    From what I have read, most folks have not been too thrilled with the hatchability of eggs after the shipping process. Probably due to the josteling around during shipping. I haven't tried it yet, but probably will next Spring. Never hurts to try, and I don't want to brood chicks myself. Would rather have one of my hens do it.

7. Jenna14Chicken

Mar 19, 2016
    OH.
    Yes I'm waiting for a hen to go broody, but we are in Ohio so it won't be a long ride. But I think I am going to order from papas poultry instead, I've heard good things about their hatching rates.

8. n8ivetxn

Nov 15, 2011
    Elma, Washington
    BaileyMChicks - Wow, that's exactly the opposite of other livestock! I figured it must be something like that, for the ratios to be so close (if the article I read is to be believed!), thanks for explaining....

I just started my first incubation of shipped eggs, day 1 [​IMG] From what I read, shipped eggs do come with some risks, but it was the only way to get the birds I want, plus I thought it would be a fun project to build a bator....You just have to weigh the pros and cons in the individual situation....

Best of luck Jenna14Chicken! Post if you do set some eggs [​IMG]

9. Jenna14Chicken

Mar 19, 2016
    OH.
    Thank you, I'm only doing it because that's the only way I can get somewhat fertile eggs. But I do understand the risks of doing it. I want a hen to go broody but not right now! Its VERY hot out and I think my hen decided now to go broody [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

10. n8ivetxn

Nov 15, 2011
    Elma, Washington
    Yeah, I guess because they're basically tropical birds, the heat and long day cycles make them a little broody..... I get broody when it's cool and damp out [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by