1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Meyer Meal Maker... Any guesses?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ChickpeaCT, Nov 14, 2013.

1. ChickpeaCT

ChickpeaCT Out Of The Brooder

Nov 7, 2013
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here's my 2 day old Chick that I received as a Meyer Mealmaker. She is a hearty eater! My best guess is a White Plymouth Rock. But maybe a Buff Orpington???

What do you think?

Cheers,
    Corinne

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    X2 on the White Rock or Leghorn, don't think they do cornish for meal makers? The White Orps usually aren't quite that white/yellow as chicks more grayish to them.

3. LTygress

LTygress Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2012
    Looks like a plain old leghorn to me.

4. handyman42

handyman42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2013
    Sardis, AR
    I'd say the typical Cornish cross that all the hatcheries use. They look just like any other white colored chicken Leghorns, White Rocks or even BO's) when they're chicks.They just eat more.

5. ChickpeaCT

ChickpeaCT Out Of The Brooder

Nov 7, 2013

I hope it's not a Cornish X. I'm not prepared to raise meat birds!

6. RoostersCrow HensDeliver!

RoostersCrow HensDeliver! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    SE Michigan
    They won't send a cornishx as an extra with a laying order. Its probably a white rock or a white Jersey Giant. The legs don't look yellow enough for a Leghorn.

7. handyman42

handyman42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2013
    Sardis, AR
    I was just going off the name "Mealmaker" But it's very possible it could be just a typical Leghorn, White Rock or even Buff Orpington. I was just assuming because of the name.

8. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Going to Meyer’s site, here is what they say a Meal Maker is.

A Meyer Meal Maker is a FREE baby chick from Meyer Hatchery. Raise the chick to laying / butchering age and simply donate the eggs or meat produced from that bird to a local family or charity. Whether you order 3 layers or 300, you can request a Meyer Meal Maker on every order you place. Same goes for meat birds! This is just one, simple way you and your family can get involved and make a difference in your community.

Looking at Meyer’s breeds, that chick might be Austra White, Leghorn, Columbian Wyandotte, Delaware, Jersey Giant, White Rock or maybe a broiler. There are possibly some other options. I don’t see feathers on the legs so that at least eliminates some choices.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by