Meyer Salmon Faverolle - Pullet?

kattington

Chirping
9 Years
May 31, 2014
I ordered a pullet from Meyer Hatchery, but I'm unsure about all of these black feathers! She's 4 weeks today.

Hi there!

That is not a Salmon Favorelle. The reason I can tell is because it has feathered legs. Is it a bantam or a large fowl chick?

Meyers SF chicks do have feathered legs and they can be this dark and still be pullets. I got a cockerel accidentally and 3 pullets from Meyers. 2 of the pullets I got are dark like this. The comb will be the deciding factor. That, and if it starts crowing. Looks like a pullet to me but I'm no expert. Just going by what I got from Meyers the end of May.

Meyer SF Pullet about 2 months old in this pic.

Meyer SF cockerel same age.

Last edited:
Faverolles do have feathered legs, and yours is definitely a Salmon Faverolle. Although those black feathers are usually a cockerel trait, I think you have a pullet.

I bought 4 SF pullets from a hatchery in March. They too had a bunch of dark feathering but as they're now laying eggs, I'm quite sure they are girls :) Yours looks like a pullet to me.

Then:

Now(ish):

Last edited:
That's exactly what my salmon favorelle pullet looked like at that age. She had dark feathers, and at 13 weeks still has a few dark spots, but is really lightening up.

Back
Top Bottom