Meyer's came this AM!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kesali, May 4, 2011.

1. kesali

kesali Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2011
    far northern Wisconsin
    The postmaster called me about 7:45 to say my chicks arrived! [​IMG] He knew they were coming because I told him beforehand. When I picked them up I asked him if they had driven him crazy. He grinned and said they were cheeping like crazy, but he put them in the back part, turned off the light, and they shut up right away. They are 5 SL Wyandottes, 5 Partridge Rocks, and 5 Barred Rocks. I chose them because I wanted them to be fairly docile and winter hardy. I sprinkled their food on the toweling and they went for it right away. Then I put in a feeder and they started on that, too. The water was a little harder. I would dip their beaks in it, and some got into it right away. Others would then stand back stare at the container a moment, then tip over and take a nap. I guess, like our schools, the lesson was too exhausting for some. When I open the brooder door, they all come running to see what I am going to do next. They do not seem scared, but that may come, I suppose.

They are in the garage and it is still cold here. The temp at one foot from the heat lamp center (250 watt) is 80F. They do not seem to stray past that point, even though there is plenty of room to wander. It gets into the mid-20's here every night, so I hope the heat lamp will do its job. I took some pictures, but.....the cord to connect the camera to the computer has climbed out of the drawer by the computer and walked off somewhere. Naturally no one has a clue where it might be! I am sure others of you NEVER have such problems in your houses where things mysteriously vanish. If it finally returns from wherever it went, I will post pictures!

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Very excited for you! I buy from Meyers because I'm an hour away, and I can go pick up small orders. They have very good customer service.

If I were you, I would lower my heat lamp just a bit. New chicks like it to be around 95 degrees........If they're staying directly under the lamp, that means they could use a little more heat. Also, make sure there are no drafts to chill your chicks out in the garage.....I brood mine in the house when they're really little because I'm always afraid maybe the power would go out or the bulb would burn out and they would freeze if they were outside......(I'm overly cautious at times though.)

Good luck with the new chicks! You've picked beautiful breeds!

Sharon

3. Connorrm

Connorrm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Capital District, NY
    Ahh! More people talking about peepers! I so want more!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by