Meyers Rare Breed Assortment

LadiesAndJane

Life is good...
Premium Feather Member
7 Years
May 16, 2014
Hawaii
Anyone out there get this assortment from Meyer? I am getting 12 sexed pullets in a few weeks with my Jubilee english orpington order to fill out the order. I am also planning to sell the "rare" chicks, as I do not need any (yes, I know, where have we heard that before...), to cover the $75 shipping charge to Hawaii.
Now, I know Meyers definition of "rare" is debatable. In addition to EEs, there may be some of their new colored egg layer hybrids, but there also may be Lavender or BBS orpingtons, CCL, Marans and other more interesting breeds. I know they wait until their other orders are filled and toss in what they have left.
Curious to hear from others what breeds they received! 😊

Acre4Me

Crossing the Road
Nov 12, 2017
Western Ohio
Good Luck!

I've never received their assortment, but I have gone to the Meyer store outside of Cleveland and picked out some chicks in the random bins (they won't ID the chicks in these bins as they are just what is left over from that weeks hatch). I picked out some good (and rare/expensive) breeds by chance, and they were healthy.

Your idea to sell the extras is a good one - hopefully you recoup the shipping costs at least! Enjoy the chicks.

LadiesAndJane

Life is good...
Premium Feather Member
7 Years
May 16, 2014
Hawaii
Good Luck!

I've never received their assortment, but I have gone to the Meyer store outside of Cleveland and picked out some chicks in the random bins (they won't ID the chicks in these bins as they are just what is left over from that weeks hatch). I picked out some good (and rare/expensive) breeds by chance, and they were healthy.

Your idea to sell the extras is a good one - hopefully you recoup the shipping costs at least! Enjoy the chicks.
Thanks for your reply! I do appreciate it. Hoping to get a few fancier ones so I can sell for a bit more ( or be more tempted to keep them) but I can even get $10 a piece for the EEs over here so that’s OK too!😊

k24atom

Hatching
Feb 1, 2021
I received five rare choice on or about 06 January 2021.

I received a splash Maran's, green queen egger, easter egger, splash cochin, and some type of blue (most likely a cuckoo blue bar egger or blue cuckoo marans --according to their availability chart.)

I hope this helps.

Just an fyi, my order was placed through an intermediary ( lower minimum order) which Meyer supplies.

Last edited:

LadiesAndJane

Life is good...
Premium Feather Member
7 Years
May 16, 2014
Hawaii
I received five rare choice on or about 06 January 2021.

I received a splash Maran's, green queen egger, easter egger, splash cochin, and some type of blue (most likely a cuckoo blue bar egger or blue cuckoo marans --according to their availability chart.)

I hope this helps.

Just an fyi, my order was placed through an intermediary ( lower minimum order) which Meyer supplies.
Thank you!😊
And welcome to BYC!

Top Bottom