MFFF FARM

myfinefeatheredfriends

Songster
8 Years
Mar 1, 2011
Ohio
I would just like to share my story after reading so many on the new member introductions so here goes...

In 1997, my uncle went down to Georgia and brought me back a special gift. Expecting one of those state license plate keychains with my name on it, I instead found a box sitting on my porch with a piece of poultry netting over top. Upon examining it, I was surprised to find 5 broiler type chickens in it!

They became a part of the family but due to their breed didn't last very long. I went "chickenless" til 2000 when I bought two pullet chicks from the feed store and was given a rooster from a family friend. From then on I read everything I could about chickens and attended shows to learn more about breeds. Since then I've had Seramas, Sebrights, RIR, Rocks, Wyandottes, Orps, Australorps, Brahmas, Buckeyes, Delawares, Cochins, Leghorns, Andalusians, Polish, EE, Silkies and a few hybrids. I've bought from feed stores, hatcheries, breeders and even brought in a few rescue cases.

As of today you could call me a jack of all trades. I still haven't found my niche in the poultry world though I've tried selling market eggs, hatching eggs, craft eggs, feathers, chicks, juveniles and adults. I currently breed a small Serama flock and call my hobby My Fine Feathered Friends Farm - or MFFFF. The only thing I haven't done is raised birds for meat (please don't be biased). They have been pets to me for so long that eating them would be like eating a cat or a dog to me. I don't eat any kind of poultry, not even turkey at Thanksgiving.

I've primarily raised chickens, ducks (since 2003), Coturnix quail and button quail (both since 2008) however I did take in a rescued goose and turkey, both of whom I love, though the goose can be a brat sometimes. I would like to have more turkeys in future once I have a good setup ready but probably not for a few years yet.

I finally took the plunge and joined BYC to learn more and to share my many years of knowledge with beginners needing help. I love this site more and more each day!

Well that's my story... hope you all enjoyed it :)

My Seramas and Sassy the Sebright

Welcome to the group of nutcases here! (that's all of us) I started out the same way after a 20 year lag of being chickenless. Everyone here is and will be SO helpful to you. Anything you have questions, worry about, wonder about, and generally even THINK about with chickens you can always come here. Even the 'stupidest' questions are not stupid here. Most likely, anything you want and need to know someone else here is also wondering about!

I have learned SO much here from everyone - as you will too; made a few good friends - as you will too!

I am in Ohio as well! what part are you in?

welcome-byc.gif

Back
Top Bottom