MG advice on finding an Avian expert for consult?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Leela NH, Feb 24, 2015.

1. Leela NH

Leela NH Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2014
    New Hampshire, USA
    I have a friend that obtained some birds from her friend...that person is believed to have MG in her flock. My friend is heeding my advice and closing her flock until further notice. She is giving back the birds that she obtained to the person in question.

She would like to find a very reliable source for info on how to deal with testing her birds, treating them, culling, cleaning property etc.

She called the extension office and talked to the poultry person (not a vet) and she didn't know what MG was....so she needs to find someone that can give her reliable info on how to proceed.

Thanks very much!

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    The poultry person at the extension office isnt a poultry person if she doesnt know what MG is. I recommend that your friend contact your state department of agriculture or state university that has a veterinary school of medicine. The latter would probably be the best bet.

3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Call the state vet:
    http://www.usaha.org/Portals/6/StateAnimalHealthOfficials.pdf

-Kathy

4. Leela NH

Nov 3, 2014
    New Hampshire, USA
    She did call State Vet. Thanks.

5. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
  6. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Note that any avian vet or pathologist should be able to advise her on how to have testing done.

-Kathy

Last edited: Feb 24, 2015
  7. Leela NH

Nov 3, 2014
    New Hampshire, USA
    She decided to do NPIP and get MG testing done on her flock. Thanks eveyone!

8. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by