MG? Help I need advice on what is our best option.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Mitchell'sCoop, May 23, 2019.

  1. Mitchell'sCoop

    Mitchell'sCoop Chirping

    26
    36
    54
    May 18, 2018
    I need some input, advice, help figuring out what is the best option. We have had our original flock for just over a year. Every thing had been going great! I got some new birds recently and made the stupid mistake of not quarantining them for 30 days, after a week I started to integrated them into our existing flock. They have been with our original flock now for 1 month, this week has been horrible... the whole flock is ill. Swollen faces, discharge from nostrils, sneezing, lethargic, not eating much, watering eyes with bubbles in the corner of their eyes, raspy breathing, huge drop in egg production (was getting 18 eggs a day, now getting about 4). 3 of our flock have passed away without showing any symptoms, they were dead in the morning. I have not had any tests ran just yet, as I have to send them to the state vet as there are no vets in the area that will see chickens. Is it best to completely depopulate the whole flock, treat the ground and coop and leave empty for a few months before trying to bring in a new flock, or would it be better to treat with antibiotics and just have a completely CLOSED flock? We had sold birds, hatching eggs and chicks before this happen but since they started getting sick last week we have stopped all sales as I do not want to give this to anyone else's flock, its devastating. I feel sick to my stomach, I knew I should have quarantined for 30 days but I failed to do that... what is the best option moving forward?
     
  2. dawg53

    dawg53 Humble

    25,231
    5,483
    646
    Nov 27, 2008
    Glen St Mary, Florida
    Lesson learned and I feel bad for you. You are the only one that can make the tough decision to maintain a closed flock or cull.
    I suggest that you weigh the consequences of having a closed flock, for example; you've had several birds die, egg production is almost nil, you will be dealing with this disease (whatever it is) for the rest of their lives, cost of antibiotics (if it's bacterial,) medication withdrawal times etc etc etc.

    Culling; not knowing what disease(s) they have presents a different problem as far as repopulation. You dont know the course time of what disease(s) they have. Some diseases stay in the environment for months or just a few days after culling (MG for example.) Treating the ground is a tough job to do, but it can be done by sterilization and it takes several months.
    Everything will have to be "decontaminated," including feeders/waterers, nest boxes, coops inside and out etc...activated oxine will do this.

    I'm sure there are other precautions involved, such as clothing, shoes etc that will have be taken into account.
    It's a tough job either way. Again, only you can make the decisions.
    I suggest that you contact your local extension office and find out how to get your sickest bird tested to find out exactly what you're dealing with, then go from there.
     
  3. Mitchell'sCoop

    Mitchell'sCoop Chirping

    26
    36
    54
    May 18, 2018
    Thank you I'm definitely trying to decide what would be the best thing to do. I know taking the bird/s in to get tests done will definitely need to happen to know exactly what we are looking at moving forward. Really unsure if we cull the entire flock (50+ currently) if we will even choose to repopulate later down the road. We all have our favorites within the flock even though we have always had the understanding that they are lifestock, and they were intended for the table at some point. Just really not sure how to take all the information, and make a decision once it is verified what exactly is going on. We had an amazing flock, the best roosters we could ever ask for, replacing them is going to be tough. They now have a disease, just unsure of what it definitely is, but it is a disease and it has moved fast through all of them. The ones that have passed away only had light sneezing going on not all the rest of the symptoms, and they were dead the next day. The ones I didn't think would make it have started looking a lot better and are eating and drinking and doing a lot better, but I'm sure it's not going to ever fully go away even with antibiotics, it can and will still infect new birds as well as any wild ones that come in contact. This is where my biggest issue is, I don't want them to spread it.
     
    Texas Kiki likes this.
  4. dawg53

    dawg53 Humble

    25,231
    5,483
    646
    Nov 27, 2008
    Glen St Mary, Florida
    Mitchell'sCoop and Texas Kiki like this.
  5. Texas Kiki

    Texas Kiki Egg Pusher

    67,217
    278,140
    1,912
    Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    What state are you in?
    Testing in most states isn't that expensive.
     
  6. Mitchell'sCoop

    Mitchell'sCoop Chirping

    26
    36
    54
    May 18, 2018
    I'm in Indiana
     
    Texas Kiki likes this.
  7. FlyingNunFarm

    FlyingNunFarm Crossing the Road

    5,175
    28,145
    957
    May 28, 2015
    Chesterland, OH
    My Coop
    http://www.vetdna.com/test-type/avian-bird

    This place also does testing. $20 for a sterile swab. They recommend doing 2 for each bird you want tested. One swab to the nose the other in the mouth. Put them in separate zip lock bags and send them with the form.

    Call them. Really nice people. I've talked to them on more then one occasion and asked all sorts of questions. They answer every one.
     
    Mitchell'sCoop likes this.
  8. FlyingNunFarm

    FlyingNunFarm Crossing the Road

    5,175
    28,145
    957
    May 28, 2015
    Chesterland, OH
    My Coop
    And please don't beat yourself up over this. The other birds you brought in were not showing symptoms. They may not have shown symptoms in a 30 day quarantine. The stress of introduction could have brought whatever this is to the surface.

    Also, wild birds and even mice can carry MG. Sometimes even the most careful chicken keeper can end up with something.
     
    Mitchell'sCoop likes this.
  9. Mitchell'sCoop

    Mitchell'sCoop Chirping

    26
    36
    54
    May 18, 2018
    I've looked into it as well but I don't think this is it. I mean its bad... it could possibly be coryza but they are missing some of the symptoms for it. But here is a pic of one of the girls tonight, both of her eyes are swollen shut.
     

    Attached Files:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: